Cutting tool - Scroll saw or dremel?

Bethany Lynn

I have a Dremel with a jig saw attachment, and all the bits etc goodies (not the router part yet). I also have a scroll saw but find it hard to control sometimes - it is single speed and probably not a very good one. Got it for $35 on sale at Lowe's. My new toy is a Proxxon mini miter saw and it is fabulous. I have a mini lathe but need a duplicator for it - since I havent used it yet, Ii might see if Sears will take it back (I got it in July 07) and then buy one that has a duplicator made just for it. Also have RL tools of all kinds. I might give up on my cheap 4 inch table saw and get a good one that wont cut my hand off.

Power tools I se the most often - RL 10" table saw, RL 8 1/4" compound miter saw and now the Proxxon. Couldnt live without my Dremel for tight spot drilling starter holes. Most of the goodies I havent really found a good steady use for.

Have fun with your toys!

For scroll saw accessories check out www.wildwooddesigns.com. I have a Dremel mini-lathe that I got on Ebay that is nice, but it only makes pieces about 6" long. I wanted to do like porch posts, so I had to put 2 of then together. I also had problems duplicating the same design. I guess this comes with experience.

For my scroll saw...on Ebay , under medical , I found this thing, I think they call it an atomizer for $5. I put a piece of plastic tubing on it & ran it down to the blade & it blows the sawdust away so I can see my marks !!!

Steve

I found a mag called "creative woodworks and crafts". At the walmart in it had a place you can get a trial packet of blaids the web sight is www.bgartforms.com.

also I get other blaids from lowes they are made by dewalt that are great you can get them pined or straight my craftsman uses both but I like the straight so when I have a lot of cuts I can release and reposition faster

I doubt a utility knife could muscle through it.
It works for me, just be sure to use a new, sharp blade. For most cuts it's the scrollsaw for me, and like Dave, I prefer the straight blade.

Steve, Anker makes a duplicator. At this point I have been using a pair of dial-calipers, but I've only been turning table legs.

Jen, Dave will be delighted to give you a list of ALL of the things you can use your Dremel for! I'm still trying to figure out a way to get mine to go brew me a pot of coffee.