Cutting tool - Scroll saw or dremel?

Bethany Lynn

I might be getting ahead of myself (I have only just started building my first dollhouse!) but I have been seeing some really great homeade furniture that appears to have been made from the leftover wood in the kits. (Correct me if I'm wrong! :thumbup:)

My question is - what type of cutting tool is typically used to make this DIY furniture? I am going to guess a scroll saw - but I thought perhaps some have found a way to use a dremel to do this. The wood I got in my BH kit is very hard and I doubt a utility knife could muscle through it.

I've also seen some AWESOME "bashes" / add-ons to the kits and thought a cutting device would be needed for that too!

Thank you so much in advance for this tip!

Bethany

Thanks for all the tips! I figured some sort of a machine saw/scroll saw would be the easiest way to cut out peices for creating furniture. My mind is still spinning though - I wonder... do they make tiny dremel bits that would allow you to "route" edges on small peices of wood? The possibilites... mouldings and a nicer "trim"/bevel around the edges of tables and shelves. Something to investigate!

My new baby arrived today! I have used it already and built a little staircase. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this machine! It's very very quiet and has little to no vibration! And it's pretty! LOL ALSO it's very large! I don't feel like I've got a toy in my hands....the cast iron table is a good foot across and with the 20" arm, I'm able to really cut larger pieces of material than before!

I'm flipping through crumbing books to decide, i was thinking a 144 scale house, n a chest for my front hallway, mine is an older (used model) But for sixty dollars with shipping its a good deal! They said it works (I gotta see for my self.) My tooth is throbbing so vibrations are probably not the best thing. I think its a microlux or some thing. :lol:

Oh my, the temptation is too much. I miss my scroll saw so much that I think it's time to start pricing some. :D

Oh yes, I totally agree with you Greg!!! :lol: LOL

Hugs

My new baby arrived today! I have used it already and built a little staircase. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this machine! It's very very quiet and has little to no vibration! And it's pretty! LOL ALSO it's very large! I don't feel like I've got a toy in my hands....the cast iron table is a good foot across and with the 20" arm, I'm able to really cut larger pieces of material than before!

Hey - now that is a nice looking peice of machinery!! I am excited for you, lol. I've taken a look around and found some scroll saw's in the 100 dollar range but I'm afraid to spend that much money and have it turn out to be a noisy vibrating peice of junk. Well maybe my tax rebate can go into a Dewalt purchase! :lol:

I'm flipping through crumbing books to decide, i was thinking a 144 scale house, n a chest for my front hallway, mine is an older (used model) But for sixty dollars with shipping its a good deal! They said it works (I gotta see for my self.) My tooth is throbbing so vibrations are probably not the best thing. I think its a microlux or some thing. :lol:

Sixty bucks!! If you do not mind my asking, where did you purchase that from - that's amazing! :D

Dremel does make router bits & they have a router attachment that you can buy. I made my own router table for my Dremel & I make my own moulding. It's a bit labor intensive, but that's half the fun.

Steve

Wow! You have some very unique stuff! Being a huge Harry Potter fan I'm lovin the Wizard's Treehouse! As soon as I found this forum I was wondering if anyone made a treehouse dollhouse... I've always been facinated by treehouses.

Well thanks for the tips on the dremel bits. I took a few wood furniture making courses in college and made some (life-sized) furniture before and I just figured there had to be a way to route things in dollhouse scale.

And you're right - the labor IS the fun part! :lol:

Way to go Wolfie

I have the craftsmans scroll I like using the sprial saw blaids so I don't have to turn as often it will cut front and back. I also have a bandsaw for big projects. someone here showed how to make a mini routertable for a dermal I did that and it works great you can also buy a table from dermal too.and the bits for molding. the rockwell sight has a lot of links and patterns you can down load also try typing woodworking in your search and see what you find.

What I am looking for now is a turning lathe small enough for miniature work harbor fraight had on but the stores do not have it any more.

P.S. hubby made me a shop of my own so my tools would not get in the way of his :lol:

You definitely need a scroll saw to cut the initial shapes for your furniture. The project actually starts with the sawing, be it scroll saw, coping saw, or whatever. With practice, you will get to the point that the result is very close to the finished product. There is a large family of blades and you will eventually narrow your selection down to a favorite couple. I avoid the spiral blades because I prefer the accuracy of regular straight blades. My favorite is the #5 blade because it makes a neat smooth cut, perhaps a bit slower than others, but worth the effort. I use it for most everything except very thick pieces.

The Dremels are specially helpful in the stages after the original shaping to fine up the detail and smooth the contours. I use the Dremel shaper/router table with the appropriate router bits for edging and shaping of tables and trim. It is better for this than the plunge router because the small size of your articles present a real problem in holding the piece as you run the router over it. I use the plunge router for large items such as bases.

Dave

This is a great thread for information!

I have a dremel and only used it to cut some wood!

Would love to hear more ideas on what you can do with one!

Please Wolfie and Corwin show pictures when you get around to making something please :lol:

Way to go Wolfie

I have the craftsmans scroll I like using the sprial saw blaids so I don't have to turn as often it will cut front and back. I also have a bandsaw for big projects. someone here showed how to make a mini routertable for a dermal I did that and it works great you can also buy a table from dermal too.and the bits for molding. the rockwell sight has a lot of links and patterns you can down load also try typing woodworking in your search and see what you find.

What I am looking for now is a turning lathe small enough for miniature work harbor fraight had on but the stores do not have it any more.

P.S. hubby made me a shop of my own so my tools would not get in the way of his :lol:

Thanks so much for the feedback! Omgosh I didn't even think of a mini lathe! My wish list is growing longer and longer every time I read this thread.

Like I said I took some wood furniture design courses in college and I really enjoyed them - so this is a way to continue that on a smaller scale and (hopefully!) smaller budget.

When I get to the point where I am thinking about routing I will have to ask you where you found your information for building the table for the dremel.

Thanks again!! Sounds like you have a great husband, haha!

You definitely need a scroll saw to cut the initial shapes for your furniture. The project actually starts with the sawing, be it scroll saw, coping saw, or whatever. With practice, you will get to the point that the result is very close to the finished product. There is a large family of blades and you will eventually narrow your selection down to a favorite couple. I avoid the spiral blades because I prefer the accuracy of regular straight blades. My favorite is the #5 blade because it makes a neat smooth cut, perhaps a bit slower than others, but worth the effort. I use it for most everything except very thick pieces.

The Dremels are specially helpful in the stages after the original shaping to fine up the detail and smooth the contours. I use the Dremel shaper/router table with the appropriate router bits for edging and shaping of tables and trim. It is better for this than the plunge router because the small size of your articles present a real problem in holding the piece as you run the router over it. I use the plunge router for large items such as bases.

Dave

Thank you so much - the information is a GREAT help! (I love this forum!)

Sixty bucks!! If you do not mind my asking, where did you purchase that from - that's amazing! :lol:

Where else do i shop on line? eBay, i snatched it up last minute. It works however, i couldn't sleep last night (awful tooth ache, i ended up going to the dentist, and they drilled it out, did a temporary filing, then they drilled that out and did a root canal, and the a permanent filing. I was there for seven hours! If i got paid minimum wage for medical visits i'd be rich!!!, any way i kept looking at there drills and thinking, hmmm i coud use that bit for....) Any way when went to use my scroll saw it was three in the morning, and IT IS NOISY!!! So i turned it off. :D

Where else do i shop on line? eBay, i snatched it up last minute. It works however, i couldn't sleep last night (awful tooth ache, i ended up going to the dentist, and they drilled it out, did a temporary filing, then they drilled that out and did a root canal, and the a permanent filing. I was there for seven hours! If i got paid minimum wage for medical visits i'd be rich!!!, any way i kept looking at there drills and thinking, hmmm i coud use that bit for....) Any way when went to use my scroll saw it was three in the morning, and IT IS NOISY!!! So i turned it off. :lol:

Oh I am sorry to hear that!! I will have to keep my eyes peeled on Ebay!! :D

Great idea for the spiral blades, I'll hafta look for some of those, and I see from Micro Mark they make blade for plastic, those would be really handy for the Time Machine.

As for the Dremel versus scroll saw question, agree with Greg here, you need both. They're completely different tools. It's like comparing a saw to a drill press.

Great idea for the spiral blades, I'll hafta look for some of those, and I see from Micro Mark they make blade for plastic, those would be really handy for the Time Machine.

As for the Dremel versus scroll saw question, agree with Greg here, you need both. They're completely different tools. It's like comparing a saw to a drill press.

Yea, you're definitely right. I've used a dremel before in a pinch to cut things out for other types of projects by setting up a jig and just running the dremel against it - but I can see how that would be a huge pain in the butt after a while. Besides, places like Sears and JCPenny sell machine tools and have tons of sales all the time. I think it would be a good investment.

Thanks for the tips!

Dave I also have the Dremel router table and all the things that came with it, plus the drill press for the Dremel...... I have the Dremel vices too, and love them for holding doll parts as well as other uses! Dremel has done me well over the years......and I won't be letting go of my Dremel scroll saw either.....even if I just use it in the kitchen for slicing up the foamcore!