How do I choose a house?

Kat C

Cricket???? What's a dining room table??? :wave:

Oh yeah...I remember..that table in the room there with the really lovely view of our prairie...I remember long ago, before the first dollhouse..we used to EAT off that table....now it's covered with...I dunno...sawdust, wood chips, masking tape, paint chips.... :p

I started with the dining table...now have commanderred a spare bedroom where I have two other tables exclusively for my use (we do occasionally have to clear off at least the end of the dining table when fussy guests come). I could use another table, though..when I get to priming and painting everything, I need room to spread OUT... ! :wave:

Once I finished nursing school I had this big ol' office desk with all this drawer space... HAH! I have outgrown it, of course, and have a shortened workbench base DH built for me. I actually have three or four places in my workroom I can move a house onto for various phases of building.

Right now the dining table houses the finished houses.

Which reminds me - what do most of you use to build on? I'm thinking something like a card table?

I have found a card table (one with the padded top) is harder to work on than a wooden table like a "dining room" table. I didn't think the soft surface did very well when I was gluing the shell together. The weight of the books I used to hold the pieces while the glue dried caused it to press down in different ways on one house and threw the foundation off a bit. The wood and/or plastic topped tables seemed to offer a more firm foundation, but it may just be me. :idiot:

Hi Kat and welcome. You have stumbled into a great place, let me tell ya. My first house was an Orchid and my second, a Glencroft. Just a bit of info on the Orchid. Although it is a 1:12 scale house, the 1' scale furniture seems a tad large for the house. That was part of the reason I left the stairs out. I am glad that I had the experience from the Orchid when I started the Glencroft. We had our moments, but I enjoyed the build. So, jump right in and join in the fun. I am certain you will have a blast!!

Cricket???? What's a dining room table??? :idiot:

Oh yeah...I remember..that table in the room there with the really lovely view of our prairie...I remember long ago, before the first dollhouse..we used to EAT off that table....now it's covered with...I dunno...sawdust, wood chips, masking tape, paint chips.... :p

It's that BIG flat surface about 2½' off the floor in one of the rooms.. It's really cool 'cuz ya can slide a chair up to it to sit without being hunched over while you work. (That is when you're not circling the thing looking for the glue bottle or sandpaper that was *just there*)

What d'ya mean you used to EAT off it???? :p Funny, I've heard other people say that too, but I could never actually visualize it. :p

Just a bit of info on the Orchid. Although it is a 1:12 scale house, the 1' scale furniture seems a tad large for the house. That was part of the reason I left the stairs out. I am glad that I had the experience from the Orchid when I started the Glencroft. We had our moments, but I enjoyed the build.

Wow, after going back and looking through the gallery I see what you mean. I may need to rethink a couple of things already. Thanks for the heads up!

This site is just a wealth of information. I can't say it enough - I'm so glad I came across it and you are all so enthusiastic and helpful. I am developing a serious addiction here!

The first furniture I used upstairs in my Orchid store was the Corona Concepts furniture. I switched it out for the Greenleaf furniture I made with the Coventry Cottage kit, and it looks MUCH better in there, and the Corona Concepts furniture looks fine in the Coventry Cottage's downstairs.