Primrose Door

kathi17

Well, I have my side walls on and clamped and am waiting for the glue to dry so I can put on the front wall.

I just read ahead on the instructions and it says to glue or hinge the door. I've never built a dollhouse that doesn't include a way to hinge the doors, and have never seen instructions to glue it. I live on an island, and would have to travel 2 hours to get any hinges, and it doesn't look like there is room enough to add them anyway.

I'm thinking that there might be a way to pin them at the top and bottom. What did you guys do?

Well, I finally found Havanna Holly's instructions, well not the instructions, but a post where she mentions what she does, I think I will try her method. I don't have any chamois, but I do have some electrical tape which might work since it's strong.

You can also use any narrow trim or braid you have avalibale if you want to use a fabric hinge. Or any tiny piece of thin leather scrap, really anything you find pliable enough and not to thick works I think :wub:

Hugs and good luck!

I've hinged with duct tape but my favorite is pin hinging.....Works and looks great! Make some faux hinges by snipping tiny pieces of paper clip and gluing it where the hinges would do...... Looks pretty good!

I can't wait to start my Laurel and Primrose. I've been patting the boxes since they arrived yesterday!

I will not be putting the door on the Primrose however. I have decided that that room will just be the big old fashioned kitchen! With a large oval through to the dining room! I love those two little houses!

Wolfie

• Like 1

Thanks Wolfie,

I was thinking of pinning it, but since I already had the front on, it would have been difficult.

My Primrose is a little red schoolhouse. It's almost done, I'll post pictures when I finish it.

Do the bigger kits like the Garfield, (the one I really wanted when I bought the Apple Blossom), have the same kind of doors? I was really disappointed, but I figured that for only $12, it wasn't a big deal. For something like the Garfield, I would definitely want to upgrade them if they don't have an easy way of hinging them.

I mostly glue the doors in....I have no need or desire for doors that open and close in a house.

but I was pleasntly suprised to see how the MHM had opening doors that wasnt hard to do at all. its the pin method but its all done with wood... its really nice!

so that house does have working doors.

I look forward to your photos!

nutti :evil:

Hi Nutti, ever since I was a kid, I wanted toys with doors that opened! My first dollhouse was one of those lithographed tin ones with molded plastic furniture. My cousin's dollhouse was wooden and had working doors and windows and real furniture. Hers was big, too, and had real wallpaper and curtains, so you can imagine how envious I was!

Anyway, now that I build my own, I'm going to have working doors come heck or high water!!!

The Primrose door doesn't open fully, I think I cut the tape too short, but at least it isn't glued in place!

Yeah, the Dura Craft doors are nice because they open, but the RGT ones are like the ones from houseworks, and they are really really nice!

• 2 weeks later...

The Houseworks doors are pin-hinged. I used dressmaker's twill tape to hinge the Orchid general store's door and I'll pin-hinge the crossbuck exterior doors I'm making for the 1:24 scale "pueblo" dh I'm now building.