Warping

gramps

Moving on with the kit...I find the larger pcs., main floor, second floor are warped like a potato chip, and one side of the center wall is full of "worm holes" I'll have to fill the holes, but will the warping straighten out during the building of the Coventry?

Thanks,

Tom

Gentle warping may straighten out. That's where clamps and/or lots of masking tape come in handy. You may also want to spray both sides of the piece with water or gently sponge it (don't soak), place it between a few layers of newspaper, and stack heavy books, paint cans, etc. on it as it dries for a couple of days. That should take the warp out.

I think it's always a good idea to treat both sides of the wood (with sealer, paint, etc.) at the same time, to prevent warpage. Have you sealed both sides already? As Kathie said, if the warping isn't extreme, you may be able to coax it straight with clamps and weights as you build.

Tom, To minimize warping once you open the kit, store the pieces FLAT. When you seal them, let each side dry flat and as soon as it's dry flip it over to seal stain/ prime the second side & let it dry flat, too. Even sealed the dampening and dry between weights ought to work. I usually find the "wormholes" on the "back" of the plywood, which become the ceilings when they're on the floor pieces, so going ahead and spackling the whole side seems to help fill the holes and smooth that side for finishing as a ceiling.

Whenever we've experienced warping, Ray just lays the pieces flat and stacks an old computer terminal and heavy books on the warped pieces. He leaves them overnight and they've always been fine the next day. Up north here though our weather is very dry.

-Susanne

Thanks all,

Most of the sheets were warped when I opened the box. The floors and walls are already sealed so I guess I'll just have to live with the warpage or try to straighten when I start to build.

This is my first attempt at building a dollhouse, so I will learn much from mistakes.

Tom

Moving on with the kit...I find the larger pcs., main floor, second floor are warped like a potato chip

You and me both, Tom-- check out my saggy Orchid--

--but I put ammo boxes and reference guides on either side, left it for a week...

...and it looks a bit better:

I had a house warped from the box. I used a continuous piece of narrow trim shaped like a "U" on horizontal edges of back opening. Then squared it up with trim on upright edges. It stopped the sagging. I also glued crown molding around the ceiling of the 1st floor and glued it to the walls and ceiling to make the upper floor floor 'sit' level. Beams under the

1st floor foundation also helped.

Congrats! Looks like you did a great job with yours. I love do-able challenges. It is so satisifying when the wood behaves.

Nancy

And then there's the flip side of it which is deliberately warping straight wood into curves for mansard roofs. But don't say that too loud around Peggi. I think she's still having mansard flashbacks. :thumb: However, with patience, moisture and glue, wood is quite pliable and can be manipulated into almost any shape we need.

Deb