Orchid and Primrose?

Kabrina

Still coming up with ideas for my Orchid and I keep thinking of how small the house is. I'm thinking Shabby Chic Cottage or at least my dream retreat. Someplace to read and relax with a hot cup of tea maybe a bit of needlepoint, cats and solitude. I think I need a bit more room. I was wondering, has anyone bashed the Primrose with the Orchid? Or do you think that it would even work? I'm not really sure what the added room would be, maybe a larger area for the kitchen and a small dinnette set. I've seen Fov's lovely Orchid with the added Conservatory and I like how it adds room. I'm also thinking of attempting something different with the staircase as it takes up so much room as is and I HAVE to have stairs (how else will my lil' people get to the second floor?). Getting some of the supplies stored up for this build. I have a lot of House of Miniature kits that I'm thinking I can use in this house. Big plans for such a tiny house. My mind has wandered again from the Gloucester ...

Don't know about adding the primrose to it, but I think it could work. Shabby chic sounds great for it. I have a couple "irons in the fire" for my own Orchid; was thinking about a children's play house because I wouldn't need a big kitchen, but lately it has been saying it wants to be a honeymoon cottage (the kit is currently residing under my chair :giggle: ) I am going to be using spiral stairs that Audra made for mine. You are not alone in the mind-wandering; my mind is trying to skip to houses that I don't even have kits for :ohyeah:

I think it would work! My only concerns would be if the pitch of the roof is different (if so it might look odd) and also how to lead into that little room upstairs in the Primrose. You might want to leave the floor out and make the Primrose serve as one tall room (vaulted ceiling!) but then, as with my conservatory addition, you only get one extra room out of it.

My only concerns would be if the pitch of the roof is different (if so it might look odd) and also how to lead into that little room upstairs in the Primrose. You might want to leave the floor out and make the Primrose serve as one tall room (vaulted ceiling!) but then, as with my conservatory addition, you only get one extra room out of it.

I was thinking of making the upper room of the primrose more like an attic/storage area, light wood beams, maybe herbs hanging from the rafters...or something like that, with a ladder, or attic staircase or something that lowers into the room below so I wouldn't have to worry about an upstairs connecting doorway. The more I think about it the more I like the idea of turning the addition into a kitchen, the area that would be the kitchen a dining area and then the living room with the stairs going up to the bedroom with an adjoining bathroom. I've been sketching up ideas for the kitchen cabinets. I LOVE the country sage and natural wood kitchen set from Hobby Lobby but not sure if it would fit into the Primrose, both pieces are 5"wide, 3"tall and 2" deep. I have taken the design and sketched it up so that if after getting the Primrose and that set is too big I can attempt to scratch build it to fit. We'll see though, Hobby Lobby is having a one item 40% off coupon and HBS has a 30% off one item coupon this weekend so I may end up gettin both anyways :banana: Gotta love those coupons!

Sarah, I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with your Orchid. It's nice to see how other people do a house you're working on too.

I think I've looked at almost every Orchid in the gallery here LOL. I find the best inspiration that way.

Kabrina, I have that kitchen set for my Vermont Jr. and love it! You could easily make it into an L-shaped kitchen with just a filler block for the corner. Not sure if it would be too big for the Orchid. I spent about 2 hours going through the gallery last night looking at everybody else's. I decided to go to bed before I convinced myself that I have no aptitude whatsoever for dollhouse building. :giggle:

Forgot to say check out Ms. Mini's white Orchid in the gallery. It looks like she moved the room partition so she could flip the rooms and put the living room on the side with the stairs. I really like that idea, spacious living room, plus a bay window for the kitchen!

I like the idea of the stairs in the living room and since I most likely will not use the stairs that come with the kit I'm thinking of moving the stairs and the upstairs partition. That way the stairs still enter the bedroom but aren't in the kitchen. I'm still debating everything, even the part of needing the Primrose but I think I will go ahead and snatch it up with the coupon just in case. Still thinking about buying that kitchen set. I really love it but still unsure if it'll be too big. I have lots of scrap wood and the shape is pretty basic, I might use that idea and run with it so I can make it custom small for the Primrose...Almost feel guilty of thinking about the Orchid when my Gloucester still needs the bathroom finished, 3 rooms of trim and the roof completed...almost...;)

Hmmmm...I think I'll have to stick with the Primrose. With the coupon I can get it for around 15.00. I'm thinking of filling in the door and centering the window so the sink will be below it. Without the extra door there will be much more room for cabinets/counters.

You just had to have the Primrose idea didn't you, now I'm wondering if I need one too :giggle: I think maybe I do..I'm really in trouble :ohyeah:

HAHA! That'd be great! Maybe we can compare notes LOL. I'm thinking of attempting to install a single french door between the bathroom and bedroom too. Then add a lace curtain to it so there's more privacy. I'll be placing my HBS order tonight. And enabler that I am, just want you to know they are having a 30% off one item sale this weekend, perfect time for you to get that Primrose. :groucho:

So excited! Must be summertime that makes me want to work on a light airy cottage instead of my darker Gloucester. Pretty much decided I will wait on the kitchen set till I get the structure built. I'd hate to end up wasting money if it's too big.

For the General Store I made from my first Orchid (without addition) downstairs was the store and a storeroom and upstairs was the bathroom, kitchen/ diningroom/ parlor and the bedwas in the gable.

Ooo good idea Holly, I didn't see that one in the gallery. Now I'll just have to go look again while I wait for glue to dry :ohyeah: Kabrina I like the french door idea, and I agree it's a good idea to wait and see just how much room you have before you get the kitchen set. When I get mine in dry fit (someday soon, hopefully) I'll pop mine in the Orchid so you can see how it fits. For the bathroom I was thinking of putting just the toilet behind a door towards the front of the house and leaving the rest of the bath open like a dressing room area. I'm 99% sure the Orchid is yelling "Honeymoon Cottage you moron" because I was just making some lists for a possible children's house. :lol: I have the e-mail coupon from HBS plus a catalog code one as well so I may be doing some damage in the very near future, like tomorrow.