Second Hand Dollhouse

Missymew

Yesterday I mentioned that I'd bought a second hand dollhouse for $7.50 on ebay. I've never ever built or renovated a dollhouse. My dad built the dollhouse that I have.

I've taken photos of the dollhouse and added them to my webshots - I have no idea what kind it is.

Could I get comments on it's potential for renovation. My husband didn't think it was a very sturdy house. But he's comparing it to the Beacon Hill.

I'm especially wondering whether this house would be sturdy enough for window upgrades - they're kind of a heavy cellophane (best description I can give). I'd like to replace them with framed windows.

I've been contributing to conversation, but I'm feeling more confident now and would like to try a renovation project.

Susanne

Your house was made from the Arrow (brand) Dream Dollhouse kit, circa 1978. The key sign that it's Arrow is the drawn-on shingles and siding.

Alas, I've never seen an Arrow house in person so know nothing about what rehab possibilities it offers!

That is a house I have been trying to get on ebay and every time, I am outbidded :D .

If i had it, I would paper clay stones all around or I would add siding and shingles to it. I would add corner trim to help make it more sturdy if it seems unstable.

You got a great kit there! I can't wait to see how you refurbish it!

This is a house I've been trying to get on ebay

I bid on this house some time in the summer, first time I'd every bid on a house that had already been built - I couldn't believe I got it for $7.50 ... nobody else bid on it.

As I've said, I've been kind of scared to start anything, but it was so interesting to read comments in the "what mini project do you most fear" column.

I have a dollhouse made from an Arrow kit. It's under the "Farmhouse" album on my webshots. I only have a couple of photos of it though. I haven't worked on it for a while (and it does need a lot of work), but I had a lot of fun with it. The wood isn't as good as the Greenleaf kits (or even Dura-craft) but it went together pretty well and it's fairly sturdy. It survived (mostly intact) 17 years of handling and three moves, so...

I didn't upgrade the windows so I don't know how well that would work, but I imagine you could 'buff up' the walls if you need to. Good luck with your renovation! It looks like a really nice dollhouse. :D

Shalean,

This looks like a Great renovating project. What a cool building!! You could turn it into an old time school room, an auction house, an old time church, an antiques gallery (we have several older towns where homes and other buildings have been converted into shops including some cool art galleries). There's tons you could do with this. I like that it has the front door on what I'd think of as the side of teh house - making the building sort of long and narrow - very different from the house I have so far - I bet you have a lot of fun working with it.

-David

It's not a common style for dhs, the other one I've seen is Tom Berkner's "The Charleston", based on the row houses one sees along Charleston's Battery. If I had all the money to do it right I'd love to make up that kit with ALL the "low country" trimmings :o

Thanks so much for looking at my secondhand dollhouse and giving me some input. I really appreciate it.

I guess like everyone else I'm working on my Winter Contest project right now.

As my confidence builds through this project, I intend to tackle this renovation project.

Susanne

Shalean, what a gorgeous little house! I have a question though, since you seem to think it may not be sturdy. Can you tell what it was put together with? What kind of glue I mean. You could always run a bead of wood glue around it's edges, turn the house upside down, run it along the bottom. Caulk is also good.

One thing I should mention--and this one I learned from doing it the wrong way. If you are planning on wallpapering the interior, be sure to paint the interior with kilz before you wallpaper. I didn't do that with the Pierce that I am renovating and some stains bled through the wallpaper, even though I put two coats of semi-gloss white on it.

• 2 weeks later...