Alexandria Instructions

Tess11

Hi-

I am soooo excited! Agnes has agreed to sell me her Alexandria shell for a very good price. You all know how much I have drooled over the Alexandria. I was hoping someone out there can send me a copy of the instructions as she is not sure they are in her kit anymore.

Thanks so much!!

I can't wait for you to start working & posting pictures of this one, it's the only original MDF Dura-Craft I really liked the looks of.

I can't wait either- I just hope I can get those instructions! :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...
If I had room for an Alexandria I'd get a Pierce!

My orginal plan was to get a Garfield untilI fell in love with the Alexandria. I get the feeling I should be afraid, very afraid at the size of the Alexandria! She'll have to wait a while becaue I am building a Washington for my coworker's niece for Christmas. Plus I have to finish the SF557. I'm burned out on the trim, and my inability to figure out how to mitre corners to make them fit right. I think I'm going to buy some celery to practice with! (It's cheap and you can snack while you're working!)

Mitering is why I broke down & bought an EZ Cutter.

Here's the sad thing. I have the EZ cutter and a mini cut off saw that miters and I STILL can't get my head around how it fits together. :oops:

How I do the mitres is measuring cuting and placing one piece at a time. I put small dot on the corner that needs to be larger, then cut it, fit it, on and on...

Even though the kit came with the trim pre cut, the Alexandria instructions include the angle degree of every cut listed. I found sorting the big bag of trim pieces tedious and I spent hours soring and keeping the trim pieces sorted on the first one I built. After that I cut my own, using real wood, since the routed mdf did not paint up nicely. It took much less time that getting up the precut pieces.

The Alexandria is actually a wonderful house to decorate and the exterior lends its self to quite a bit of improvment with just a few dremel bits and sandpaper. The rooms are huge and it does not need any trim pieces for support so no lumps or bumps. It is VERY heavy to move, but this problem has it's up side as it is hard to bump it hard enough to disturb the furnishings!

The EZ cutter is on sale at Micromark and Ernies has the 20% off sale coming up too.

Thanks Agnes for the ideas. I think I will drag DH over to MY dh and have him show me how it works and then I'll get it. I feel so silly! I am an intelligent person and I just can't seem to get how they fit together. I can't even begin to think about doing crown moulding until get a handle on the corners!

Oh, don't worry, you will learn! My Husband is not exactly "Handy Andy", he often referrs to the Visa card as his "tiny tool box". I have seen him fall into fits of rage related to hanging blinds. One day he says "oh honey, I will do the trim, how hard can it be?" I think OMG! but smile and teach him how to work the compound mitre saw...and vola' just two years later he finished the baseboard and the crown molding in a 11x 14 room!

I have to say he is putting up the trim in our new family room -my used to be dollhouse building place ;( - he is doing a great job and only has the shoe molding lift to put up. The point is he is barely a tool user and he learned.

BTW, if it's to Ginormous you can make the Alexandria into two big houses with very little effort or convert it into a two family house like they have out on Long Island.