Aster Cottage

Anna

Ok, all this seasonal talk has got me into a very mini-ing modd which is why I all of a sudden have all these ideas on my Aster cottage. I have it almost built, ie the walls are up, the rood is assembled (mostly) first coat of paint both exterior as well as interior are done.

So my question or what is really holidng me up is that I can't decide on a colour scheme indoors. I have the walls in an off-white shade with some texture in the paint as well, not stucco but a bit rough, the stairs are painted in a dark green colour as will the beams and the rest of the details be, I have put in a "wooden floor" paper version but looks good so far, so what colours should I have the furniture in? Hmmm, I am leaning towards a warm red perhaps with some accent and details either in white or gold maybe???

I have most of the furniture pieces as well, need to find either a small kitchen sofa or the pattern to do one myself...

Anna, I think your ideas are great! A warm red and gold for the furniture and accents would really set off the theme! :lol: For something a little different, how about a soft pink (rose) color with silver? I have a mini-poinsetta in those colors and it's really pretty. Also, I know this sounds strange, but a soft purple (not lavendar . . . yikes . . . but purple) with cream accents looks pretty nice too and would go well with your off-white and green.

Good Luck and I'm sure it will be wonderful whatever colors you pick!! :D

Anna, If your furniture is a sort of off white/ cream you can add red &/ or gold accents as you wish to give a Christmas "feel" to it. You could even paint

christmas/ winter designs on it for a Folk Art "feel".

Thank you so much for your ideas, now I atleast have some starting point of views.

Have been moving furniture around alittle to see how different postiions might work or not work. Next thing is to install/build the fireplace, I am going to white wash it over a spackle finish, oooor I could use the ideas Tracey showed in class the other day. Now that is an interesting thought, hmm wil lhave to think that one over! Perhaps a spackle surface and then press some bits and pieces from those egg cartoons dry brushed...

Oh gotta try something! Goin to dig around to see what I have that might be used as those fake stones...

Hugs

Have been fiddling with the bed that will go into the cottage, I found a bed that goes by the name "sleigh bed" so no other would really fit in this house or ??? :blink:

So far I have stripped the matress off and started the sanding process, sheesh that is tough work for sure! Will need to sweet talk hubby in lending me his dremel, ie his dremel has all these lovley bits and pieces to attach to the dremel and mine doesn't (yet that is, it is on the wish lish for Christmas!)

WIll get back to that tomorrow in between other projects that might need drying time!

Mini-hugs

• 2 weeks later...
Anna,  I carved "stones" into the damp spackle on the chimney & fireplaces of the

Glencroft I blogged.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh now this is really great work! So inspiring, will have to sit down and figure out a way to incorporate that, love the look of it!

Right now I have the furniture base coated (about five times for the sleigh bed since it was a mahogany finish to start with even if I did sand it prior to th e painting) in a warm Christmas red, will hae to see how that will look with the balusters I am going to paint in Christmas green as well. Now things are moving along a little!

Hugs

Well I am having so much fun, letting go of "reasonable" and just do what I find suitable for my Santa, and this is his comfy chair I made for him so that Mrs Santa and the Elves can have the joy of his company while he is at work LOL delivering Christmas pressies :D

Hugs

Nah, I weren't that cruel LOL I used a pair of "empties" , ie small plastic boots that one use as Christmas decorations, that I bought a bunch of and still have a fair amount of pairs left of :D I have even used some boots as ingredients in a witchy stew LOL

It was for an online contest "Bash a Chair" I got this idea so off I went and made a true mess of the pattern I had.

Hugs

• 1 month later...

Arrrgh!!!! OK, were to start the final assembly on the house, ie doors, chimney and fireplace and do you think I can find the Instruction sheet??? Nope, nope and nope so I suppose i HAVE :D to go back to cealning and tidying up the craft room just to find the missing instruction sheets. Schucks and double schucks ;) ! Kicking myself for puttine them in the "safe" place and not just in the ordinary pile of things....

I had it all figured out earlier, assembly the firplace and and then add spackles to that to let it dry while I kept busy with the tidying up :D

Oh well, one lives and learns (not LOL)

Hugs

Persevere, Anna!  I have been patiently waiting for progress reports with pictures  :p  :D Maybe a picture of the sleigh bed, just to shut us up?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sitting back breathing calmingly.... Am about to turn into that firespitting dragon mood right now! :D But ion the other hand I am finding all kind of things I can use in other projects so that is good, have put a branch in an interesting shape into a pot so that it will fit nicley in the IKEA greenhouse/flower shop, while muttering over me and those cleaning habits of mine...

I am eagerly awaiting the delivery of my digital camera which has been at "the docotr's" it is on its way and I am going to take pics as soon as it gets here, yayyy!!!

Hmm, now where to dig next???? ;)

Hugs

YAYYY!!!! Found them! And I am with you on the everything has its own place idea Calamari that is for sure but those holidays kind of threw me in a loop with things having to find their new places while their original place is occupied by a ornament or something like that.

Sheesh!

Now to sit in a silent corner calming myself down reading my insturctions.

Oh joy!!!!

Deep sigh of relief....

Hugs

Well now I have the chimney all put together standing aside left to dry ;) so that I can spackle it a little and paint before attaching it to the roof, now on to the fireplace... :D

Hugs

Has anyone built the Aster? I am a bit confused over the firplace, ie how it should look when finished, I can't make heads or tales out of the fire extension part, how it should look when done so pleeease any advice??? It is still just on the preparation part and dry fitting but hmmm.....

Hugs

I have never built the astor, but have seen it made into a darling little witches' cottage...I would definitely dry fit the pieces together...sometimes you might come up with a better idea for a look than the standard kit version.

For colors for your Santa cottage, you could go with heritage colors, like brick red and pine needle green. Your santa's chair is adorable! What a funny idea! Have you thought of adding sound? I added sound by buying one of those music card things that plays five different songs from Radio Shack--they run about $10, so now it is stuck underneath the sofa in the Arthur's parlor. When the tree is lit, lamps are lit, and the music---Silent Night is playing...it really feels like Christmas in the dollhouse! :D

Anna, what an absolutely adorable Santa chair! ;) It's incredible! I can hardly wait to see pictures of your Aster!

Just a thought about those instruction sheets . . . I keep a binder handy with plastic sheets that I can stick instruction sheets and any other pertinent information into. That way, everything is together and I never lose them! Although, I have to say when I was looking for them the other day I totally forgot I was so organized and had a heck of a time remembering where I put them! :D

Thank you for your kind words about my Santa's chair Teresa, I had a lot of fun making it, but now I find when test decorating the house that it won't fit in there! :D Hmm, will see about that though, I might persuade it somehow :D

Lisa, I have never seen those kind of music buttons over here, but I had got the idea of using a cheap Mp3 palyer and some of those small earplug speakers and prop them in there somewehre, the Aster's roof is perfect to hide thing like that in.

Now to find a Christmas tree that hasn't got "snow" on it, I don't want that indoors ;) and I really think I should take full use of the fact that there is double height to the celeing in half of the room , and then perhaps add some pots of small CHristmas tree instead of flower pots on the window sills??? Oh and poinsettas and hyacinths and...

I have just painted the chimney and base coated the fireplace, I think I am going to add some distance material from the wall so that I can make use of the oven openings as well, perhaps some baking in the oven, gingerbread men perhaps???

Now this is fun!

And the weather over here is really inspiring to make Christmas things, it has snowed all night so we have some 2-3 inches of snow now and it keeps on falling...

Good thing to be able to stay indoors all day and mini away :p

Hugs for now

ooo snow would be nice! we have had none to speak of this year and would like some plzzz.

and isnt it nice that you can stay and play...ermmm...work on minis all day!

woot! woot!

sounds like you are making some progress. I love it when it all comes together they way we want it to!

nutti :D

ooo snow would be nice! we have had none to speak of this year and would like some plzzz.

Please speak for yourself, we are perfectly happy that temps are presently in the mid- to high 60s through the weekend & hope droves of snowbirds flock down to help our economy! :D

Any day you can stay home & mini is a good day.

Schools start back up here 1/3.

I had a slight change of plans because I got the message I could come and pick up my digital camera from the postal office so afcourse I had to run out and geet it. I didn't leave the car for more than 15 minutes at tha parking lot and it had about 2 inches of snow on it ;) when I came out again and it is steadily coming down. I wouldn't mind to send on some you Nutti, since we now have a fairly thick cover of snow, 'nuff is 'nuff :D but on the other hand the kids love it and as they are out of school until 11th of January (we teachers start on the 9th :D ) I am glad that they get the chance to get the first of snow syndrome out of their system before school is starting up.

I will take pictures of the Aster in the morning, it is getting to dark now to get good pics so I will get back on the firplace "thing" and see how I can get it to work like I want it to.

Hugs for now

Have put some pictures in the gallery of the cottage, will take more as I make some progress, do I like to have the camera back or what?!?!

Oh and an other thing, we have started the general messing around moving my craft room into another room upstairs, major work I must say but it will turn out nicley in the end, I hope...

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...album&album=125

Hugs for now