Beacon Hill in gallery

I just saw a Beacon Hill in the gallery that was completely assembled, doors, windows, stairs, everything, but it was not painted. Later it shows it painted. How can you put a house together and then paint it? I would get wall paint on windows and window paint on walls ert., and how would you paint the porch with the posts in the way. This must be possible. How do I find out how to do it? That way the glue would hold better. Windows would be easier to install, etc. The house looked great totally left bare but then it is shown finished. It wasn't just dry fitted because you can see where it is glued, even shingled. I would love to know how to do this.

Me too :groucho: IMHO , I just think it'd be difficult/if not impossible to decorate after ...I guess it depends on how much patience you have. I've been decorating much of my Beacon hill before continuing with the building process just so I can get my hands in the smaller places...this is only my second dollhouse, so maybe I shouldn't say....but I think I know the house you mean, and it looks great in natural wood too!

There's a sneaky trick to it, of course that particular BH builder might not have done it the way I did the Magnolia; but beginning with the Magnolia I've been informed that each kit the building team builds will have one of us build the kit "bare nekkid" as it comes out of the box, without bashing or decoration. I described how I did it in my bulding team blog, but basically after the dry-fit I glued the shell together and used poster putty to temporarily attach trims, windows, doors, stairs, porch, roof & balcony railings. After I took the last pictures for the blog, off came everything attached with poster putty and the "Dressing Maggie" album takes up the decoration & bashing that have been done so far.

I wondered how people put in windows. etc. before painting in the gallery pics. I use the temporary adhesive to hang all my pictures and to hold things I don't want to move when the house is finished. I always put my stairs in with it in case I change my mind on the paper someday. It holds really well and usually doesn't leave a mark if you move anything. I sure wouldn't have a steady enough hand to paint around all those window, door frames and trim after the house was assembled. I thought just maybe there was a special technique I had not discovered.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive seen that BH too. I think its Wenlaines, Im not sure. It was completely built and then later painted. I still cant believe how good it came out. I wouldnt have been able to do it. When I was new to dollhouses I built my entire Willowcrest and then realized how hard it is to paint once already built. It was a disaster. All I can say is that it must have taken a lot of patience and extrememly small brushes.

• 2 weeks later...

My Lemon Twist dollhouse had not been painted before assembly. It was painstaking to do afterwards, but it can be done! Takes alot of masking tape, cut off paint brushes, and you almost become an acrobat, getting into little spots!

• 3 weeks later...

I've just seen this thread and really feel the need to comment. This house was my very first dollhouse and I had no idea about building one and had no idea about this forum. I just assumed you put the dollhouse together as the instructions said. I didn't use any kind of putty, everything was glued. I had no idea about masking tape holding things together at that time. Learned about that after joining here and the BH was already done by then. The painting of the trim wasn't so bad but what was difficult was doing the siding with the porch on although I had painted the siding strips first. But I loved that house bare, although the inside didn't look very nice unfinished.

Wendy, your BH is lovely! I had no idea you had to paint it all after it was assembled! You'd never know it by looking at it :) ( I wouldn't have know any different either unless I had joined this site while waiting for my BH to get here.... )