The Garfield

I was thinking that my next house was going to be the Apple Blossom but Im now leaning towards the Garfield. If I have extra space to fit a dollhouse, I figured I should go all out right? :)

I just had a few questions for the people that have built it already.

Does the house fit through a front door assembled? Ive done some measurements and it seems like it will fit sideways but Ive heard that the official measurements and real assembled measurements can be a little different. Has anyone got it through a door?

How hard is this build realistically? Im kind of intimidated by it because I have constructed the micro Garfield and it was a little different from the other houses. I can only imagine in one inch scale what it would be like. I am looking for a challenge though but has anyone had any particular hassles or problems with this kit?

Thanks in advance for all the information you can give me. Maybe it will help me make up my mind once and for all.

How wide is your front door? If it's a 36" standard sized outside door, then yes..unless you mount the house on a larger base. Then you'd have to do your own measuring! It's quite heavy when it's done, too -- don't expect that you'd be able to move it by yourself. As for "sideways" -- the only way it'll fit through my 36" front door is by having one person carry it from one side, another on the other, watching their fingers carefully, and carrying it "straight up". It won't fit through inside doors, which generally are 32 inches or narrower. So when you get to the point of putting up the walls and tower, you'd better know WHERE in your house you're going to display her, because once she's done..she's DONE! :)

It is a complex house...but then, it was the first house I'd ever constructed, so maybe that added to the complexity. We spent a lot of time making sure the foundation was absolutely solid and supported, realizing that the house was going to be huge. We think our effort paid off, as the house is quite sturdy. The staircase is a challenge as it does a doubling back, and make sure you understand how the roof slopes down into the attic rooms, and finish off those walls/ceilings(with paper or paint or whatever decorating you want) as you won't be able to get behind the staircase easily to do that work later. I did a lot of bashing of my garfield -- eliminated one inside wall, and the two back roof peaks. The "missing wall" opens up those back rooms more, and increases visibility, as did eliminating the roof peaks.

Hi just checking in to tell you that I built my Garfield in the basement and had measured the door to get it out and thought it would fit but alas when the house was done we had to take the door off the hinges to get it out. No big deal but just make sure you think of these things before you get it to the point where there's no way out.

It was my first build also and like Ann says make sure you wallpaper or paint the kitchen wall by the side door and behind the stairs by the front door before you put the house together there. Also the 2nd floor landing by the bathroom floor. I also opened up the staircase by the 2nd floor bedroom because then you can see to the other side of the house.

I didn't put on the roof with the skylight. I wish I had not put on the back peaks like Ann because it would really improve the view of the rooms without it. Live and learn.

Good luck and just take your time.

There are lots of pictures of this house built by many members. Just check out the galleries or search for Garfield.

I have a partially constructed Garfield, and recently got the Pierce at Ernie's 50% off sale, I'm going to build that before completing the Garf. The Pierce is similar, but looks significantly simpler, I think it'll be great practice for the Garfield. Plus it's an awesome looking house in it's own right.

Doogster, Im taking your experience as advice. I was looking around the gallery and just fell in love with the photos of the Pierce. Its a beautiful house and it is smaller so it will fit the space I have available much better. I also dont have a house with that style tower and I fell in love with the little attic room.

Ill go for the Garfield when Ive moved to a bigger place. For now, Im going for the Pierce. Cant wait to order it in a few weeks.

It is significantly smaller than the Garf, especially in footprint, but it's still a really impressive house when put together. Marg's done her shell already, I'm going to start this week. I watched Marg do hers, I was going to get into it last week but after getting the news about Dougal I didn't really feel up to it.

I started building my Garfield, but soon realized that it was going to be very huge. We could not get the base even through the basement door holding it straight, it would have to be tilted and with all the walls in place it would not fit. I took the base upstairs. We have steel doors because of bear problems here. They are narrower than normal and the Garfield would not fit through it. So I took everything back down to the basement and packed it away. When we move to our next house (OUR LAST HOUSE HOPEFULLY) I will build it there in a permanent spot in the living room (hopefully).

In the meantime I made a fabulous trade - doll for a Pierce - and am currently building that one in the living room. It's a beautiful house to be sure, smaller than the Gar but with all the elegance and style of the Garfield - just a bit smaller. I love the Pierce and am doing it slow, but doing all I can do for each step of the way....i.e., my base is pretty much finished. I've installed the hardwood floor in the entrance hall - it would be impossible to do that after the walls are up. I am putting the floorboards on the porch right now, and have about 1/3 done. I've bricked the front steps and now waiting for the paint to dry so I can put stucco between the bricks. I made a big half circle for beneith the steps like a walkway....those are stepping stones with "dirt" in between...and will have a "dirt walkway where the paving stones end. That was an add-on I played with yesterday and really liked it. On my McKinley I did a half-circle of bricks, then added a dirt path.....but I love making the stones with egg cartons.

I don't think you will be unhappy with the Pierce. It's magnificant! I think I would have bashed it at the beginning by adding the Arthur to the end of it, but again, it would be hard to get out the door and I don't want to have to take a chance of scraping it, or anything else when moving. Besides if I were to add the Arthur, I would have to give up the insert walls I made with the bookcase and the fireplace. I like them too much! Oh well perhaps down the road I will find another doll to trade for another Pierce!!!!! Then I will add the Pierce to the Pierce! Oh I can't do that! I have plans to change my chimney! I want to add a big chimney starting at the base of the Pierce and going up to the peak of the house. So many plans, so little time......it's a thought right now!

Wolfie

Adding a Pierce to the Pierce would be something that I would aboslutely HAVE to see. It would be a mansion like no other! I like that idea of adding an Arthur to it though. I wish I had more space! Im moving in some years and I know that I have to keep my houses simple for now or moving will be a disaster.

Adding a Pierce to the Pierce would be something that I would aboslutely HAVE to see. It would be a mansion like no other! I like that idea of adding an Arthur to it though. I wish I had more space! Im moving in some years and I know that I have to keep my houses simple for now or moving will be a disaster.

Check out Marg's (ilovecats) blog, she posted pics of a Pierce/Arthur bash last week, it looks great, the two houses go together really well. As for bashing 2 Pierce's together, they did that in Dollhouses to Dreamhouses #2. We are planning on getting it in the near future. I think it would almost be too big to manage unless it could be unassambled. While smaller than the Garf the Pierce is still a BIG house.

Then again Marg is planning a Foxhall with 2 additions AND the conservatory, which we work out to be about 7 feet wide.

Im moving in some years and I know that I have to keep my houses simple for now or moving will be a disaster.

I recently (two weeks?) moved just across town, and I nearly drove my husband insane with preparations for moving my beloved mini homes.

I have three under contruction and one completed. I insisted that the Glencroft (completed) and Laurel be driven over carefully in the back seat of the car. It was an extra trip, since we could have fit everything in the van. The Garfield was more of a challenge. It had to go in the truck, and I had to be talked out of riding in the back with it. :) I had some trouble getting in through the interior doors in my old apartment, but it fit through the front door with room to spare. In the new place, it fits through all of the doors comfortably. :whistle:

Go for the Garfield! Mine made it without a scratch! Just be sure that when you measure the doorway, account for the fact that the wood will expand once sealed and painted!

I nearly drove my husband insane with preparations for moving my beloved mini homes

I have never moved and dont see doing it anytime soon....but I think my DH would make me far more insane with it than I him. he is very protective of my houses!

he is very proud of all the work that goes into them and together we would make anyone who helped us move them a wreck!

glad the Garfield fit in your doors. now you can get back to work on it!

nutti :whistle:

I have never moved and dont see doing it anytime soon....but I think my DH would make me far more insane with it than I him. he is very protective of my houses!

he is very proud of all the work that goes into them and together we would make anyone who helped us move them a wreck!

glad the Garfield fit in your doors. now you can get back to work on it!

nutti :wave:

Haha, I find that my husband does the same thing! He is not into minis at all and he never does any work on my houses but he is really possessive in the care of them. Everytime we speak about moving, he always reminds me of how careful we have to be with the houses. Thankfully, the houses are all I have besides two porcelian dolls and my furniture so that I can dedicate all of my energy on protecting them in the move. I am deading moving because of them though.

I recently (two weeks?) moved just across town, and I nearly drove my husband insane with preparations for moving my beloved mini homes.

I have three under contruction and one completed. I insisted that the Glencroft (completed) and Laurel be driven over carefully in the back seat of the car. It was an extra trip, since we could have fit everything in the van. The Garfield was more of a challenge. It had to go in the truck, and I had to be talked out of riding in the back with it. :kicking: I had some trouble getting in through the interior doors in my old apartment, but it fit through the front door with room to spare. In the new place, it fits through all of the doors comfortably. :lol:

Go for the Garfield! Mine made it without a scratch! Just be sure that when you measure the doorway, account for the fact that the wood will expand once sealed and painted!

I already ordered the Pierce but I know that I will have a Garf in the future. I decided to not order it because of my paranoia of the move. I think I would die if I have to take something off of my houses so they could fit through a door.

I am so happy that everything went well for you. Im sure that my Garf could have fit through my front door but I didnt want to risk it. Im chicken that way. :wave: I would have wanted to ride in the back of the van with it as well.

I feel sorry for the movers when they get to my house. The Sterling Estate alone must weigh five hundred pounds...lol