Need staircase advice

alycemina

Hi all,

I have a dilema - I am making a very Georgian staircase - wider at the bottom than at the top with one landing and 180 reverse. To save space, the staircase will be wall flush on one side and curved on the "free" side. Should the bottom of the staircase face the open back or face the front door? I can inset the front door into a wider portion that is hinged and swings open so that the staircase can be seen nicely from the front when the hinged section is opened, or just have the open back the "front" where the staircase runs up towards the real front. What would you do? Or, other ideas? I have thought myself silly on this one. Best regards, Alyce

Ive seen staircases face either sides and sometimes sideways as well. It really depends on how pretty your staircase will be and how visible you want it to be. If youve done a lot of work on it, youll want to show it off, so I suggest you face it to where it will be most visible. I dont believe there is a wrong direction for it to face.

Such a fantastic staircase needs to be seen rather than peeked at through the front door! If it were up to me, I would put it so that it can be seen from the open part of the house so it will be shown in all it's Georgian glory! That's my story! I'm sticking to it!

Wolfie :whistle:

One of the great features in Georgian architecture is symmetry, so there were doorways leading out at either end of the entry hall and the stairway would point in whichever direction most guests would arrive; so "front" and "back" are arbitrary distintions and you can have the stairway pointing toward the open wall, rather than the closed one.

havanaholly is right. here in the south so many beautiful colonial & antebellum mansions have two entrances-- one might face the river landing & the other a long tree-lined drive (example: Mount Vernon.) your stairs could face the back opening & still face a doorway.

In Ashley Wilke's plantation, those stairs faced a long hallway when Ms. Scarlett came down....it led past the infamous library and den and out to the outside. What a magnificant staircase that was too.....very elegant!

Why yes Rhatt, you can carry me up them there stairs if you please!!!!!

Wolfie