building a 1:12 scale dollhouse from scratch

:whistle: I want to start building my wife a dollhouse at 1" scale but I need some pictures or templates of windows and doors for that scale; I need assistance with stairs too ... maybe some good pictures to see how there made .. can anyone help me out; im buying her some traditional Victorian windows and doors.

I have been researching for quite some time now ... I even ordered a orchid dollhouse for my self to get used to how dollhouses work; i want to get started on the custom one for my wife soon so any help would be nice;

PS this is my first forum post haha. I plan on scanning my dollhouse plans for the Orchid for greenleaf's forum members :wave:

I have the 1/8"plywood and supplies already for the custom dollhouse in case anyone is wondering.

THANKS ALOT IN ADVANCED!

PS this is my first forum post haha. I plan on scanning my dollhouse plans for the Orchid for greenleaf's forum members :D

• 2 weeks later...
I plan on scanning my dollhouse plans for the Orchid for greenleaf's forum members
Huh? My Orchid kit came with the schematics sheet...

Welcome to the forum, Jon.

If you're going to buy the ready-made doors and windows from Houseworks you can find the dimensions for the openings you need in the Hobby Builders Supply catalog. I'm assuming you know all about squaring your cutting lines on the plywood and drilling out the corners for your sawblade before you cut out your openings.

You can begin posting pictures of your constructions after you have made five posts. Also, why don't you come over to the new members' section & introduce yourself to everyone? We're glad to have "scratch" builders join us!

Hi There Jonathan! welcome to the neighborhood. I sent you an email last night after you "found" me :ohyeah: Your Questions were as follows:

whats the simplest dollhouse to make? something that wouldnt take alot of time to build?

was looking at the sugarplum .. what do you think?

oh yeah. what do you suggest for painting the orchid? types of paints and primers

I think The Arthur & Magnolia would fit into the simple house to make. The Orchid is not too much harder though. The Sugarplum is VERY easy to make (but is much smaller) but it does come with its own furniture.

As regards to painting the Orchid, Wow, I have seen some very pretty Orchids. You could go with Bold rich victorian colors (I love to use the craft paint "Apple Barrel" Ceramcoat by Delta (And they have a victorian line of colors too). You can also use left over house paint too! Pick colors that move you and also pick the house that moves you most too. Never go for the "Easiest to make" because when you do, you may find your self not enjoying it because it did not "Move" ya :p

I can't wait to see what you decided on and please post more and let us know what you decide upon!

It really doesn't matter what house you build first, or how much trouble it gave you along the way. When you have finished putting it together, and sit there in disbelief that you actually( DID IT) everything else is forgotten. Good luck with whichever one you choose to undertake. You can do it!

yeah I got the orchid about a week ago; was kinda taking my time since its my first one and want to build it right; I painted it a brown chocolate color; the trim. door, window are a blood red. it looks rather interesting; I like it alot ... the next house I plan on getting is the Arthur ... just not to sure. Im going to make a sort of town with a running stream and bridge with it. its going to have about 6 houses on it. one of them is a small house with a broken mill wheel next to it. its going to have a pump system for a waterfall that will be next to it. I REALLY hope it all works out; I scratched built a few dollhouses: im going to post them up when I get the windows on them as well as some shingles. my ONE stitch is that ... painting them leaves that wood grain still (which I knew would show up anyway ... I do alot of painting a construction so I figured that much; is there a primer that I could get for dollhouses that I could cover up that wood grain look then paint over it? wallboard joint compound for sheetrock ... was planning on using that ... but not to sure.

any ideas ladies and gents? SORRY for all the questions im just really into it and would like the words of wisdom form the circle of elders hahah :cheer::ohyeah::p

is there a primer that I could get for dollhouses that I could cover up that wood grain look then paint over it?
You can seal it with sanding sealer and sand and seal until it looks smooth, OR you can thin spackling compound with a little water and brush it on and when it's dry sand it with a couple of grits of sandpaper and that should give you a lovely smooth surface that's in scale. I'd still put a coat of primer over the prepped surface, white for light colors or wallpaper and gray for dark or vivid colors.