Garfield pieces won't come out

NannaMc

I finally got brave and opened my Garfield. Picked out the base, read the directions and started. I have had to cut each slot piece out on sheet one. The scoring doesn't reach the underside. I have used an exacto knife, utility knife, (all new blades) and some of the knives from my chip carving collection. Hubby offered a small chisel and hammer, but I passed on that one. Is this common, or did I just fail woodworking 101. I can get them out but I wonder if I am missing something. I cut all the corners, but if I try to remove at that stage, it will splinter from underneath, so must cut all around the pieces. Any help will be appreciated.

Bummer :)

dont know why this happens with some kits....sometimes it is impossible to get your parts out without some splintering or chips. these things can be fixed. even if they break they can be fixed.

I use a sharp exacto for cutting the underside of stubborn parts. Im sure others have better solutions.

you can fix most anything with glue, wood fil/spackle,paint,wallpaper,baseboards...ect....

I have been known to take a Hammer to a house to beat it into compliance!

actually some tabs will swell and need some encouraging to go into place. its wood....its a kit...

Have FUN

Happy Building......did you actually get to put any peices together yet.

nutti :yes: :yes:

I usually score the underside since the topside is usually pretty well cut through on most kits. The chisel might work. I've never tried that. :) Sometimes they just don't like to come out neatly though. I have that problem a lot so I commiserate. I'm looking forward to seeing your Garfield come together. It's one of my all time favorite dollhouse kits.

Thanks Nutti, I wil try from the backside. I haven't even really gotten started, but have my table, my tools and supplies so am already to go, if I can just get the pieces loose. At least I won't suffer from having pieces loose in the box anyway. Knowing that this happens and that I can mend if need be is a big help.

I have had a few pieces like that too. It is scary because I am worried about breaking something. Other pieces, however, seem to just fall out when I pick of the sheet. When that happens, I grab a pencil and mark the piece number and sheet number on the piece that fell out. I have used my xacto knife to score the underside, carefully though. If I think I will need to apply a lot of pressure, I make sure I put my cutting mat underneath so nothing else gets cut.

I did get one sheet in my Garfield kit..."the infamous #8" which was IMPOSSIBLE to cut. There was a problem with whatever the filler was that was used to make it...and nothing we had would cut through it (and my husband has a ton of tools with sharp points!) Greenleaf kindly replaced that sheet without any problem. The new sheet was fine.

But other than that, I did find some sheets where the parts would seem to fall out upon glaring at them, but other that needed a SHARP exacto knife and a lot of pressure to get through them. Seems like this was true with some of the sheets that had the smallest parts, too.

Have fun with your Garfield. It's a great house!

I had a couple of sheets with some kind of nylon/synthetic thread in the layers. I use my Stanley knife and sometimes the glue is a really HARD resin-type glue that doesn't want to come loose and other times the pieces will punch out and crumble into layers. It's one of the things you deal with working with plywood.