Wallpaper/ rehab question...

uppitycats

The wallpaper on my Brimble appears to have been glued directly to the walls -- none of which have been primed or painted. And it doesn't appear they've been sealed, either. In some areas the paper is loose -- I've been pulling that away. But in other areas it's stuck really good.

Any ideas on how to remove it? I'd like to try to get back to the bare wood as much as possible...or should I just give up and paint over it all?

No, I don't. I know that hot glue was used in the structure part -- glueing the foundation and walls. But it doesn't appear to be hot glue on the paper. I'm going to try a wet sponge and a soak and see if that does anything...

Warm water seems to have "sort of" worked. I'll try the vinegar next. As for foam core...actually I'm going to be gluing wainscoating on the lower half of the walls, so that should cover most flaws :roflmao: Gonna be tricky putting wallpaper up the staircase behind the already-installed stairs, though. And the stairs have not been painted, so that'll be fun, too. Looking for someone with teeny-tiny hands :lol:

Looks a lot like whoever owned this house before me was real enthusiastic in the beginning...but then gave up about half-way. Some things are done really well..the rest is a sort of "hurry up and slap on some paint so it looks OK" kind of job. But it really is coming along, and I've got all sorts of ideas floating in my head. Now if I can just get all this paper off...

Yes, as Nutti said, I've used fabric softener and hot water with great success. I had to remove tons of wallpaper from my Beacon Hill and I swear by this method.

Good luck!