wood

nuttiwebgal

I am building a dungeon under the haunted house...Dh is about to make me crazy by procrastinating the cutting of said wood....my question...what kind of wood do I need to make a roombox that I can paperclay? and will the nice peeps where i get it cut it for me? I am past ready to start this project.

thanks

nutti :)

where do I find this baltic birch 1/4 inch and will they cut it for me?

The big hardware chains usually carry plywood, we've even found 1/8" for making "replacement parts" & additions smile.gif . I don't know if they'll cut it to roombox sizes for you, but if your local highschool has a woodshop class, perhaps a call to the teacher might yield results, at least to goad your DH into action...

Nutti -- if you buy 1/8" Baltic Birch (by Mid West , but at Michaels, hobby shops, sometimes called "Craft Birch"), it can be scored a couple of times with a SHARP craft knife and snapped. This Birch comes in a number fo sizes , e.g., 12" x 24", 12" x 12", etc, so you may be able to find pieces already the sizes you need.

:)

Hi Nutti,

I would definitely check out the local hardware stores. Go through their scrap stuff - they usually sell the cut offs (where they've had to make cuts for other customers) for cheaper prices. Also I do recall a sign in the back of one of our big chain stores that the first cut is free and there is a charge for each additional cut - so they may be able to cut it to size for you - for a fee. If you have any smaller mom and pop type hardware stores. Here we have one called Brisco's - been here forever it seems - they might be more willing to take individual time with you than places like Home Depot (where I can never find any help - no matter what department I'm in)

-David

well he got it cut finally but after seeing it I realised its to small for me. he just looked at me with that "husband" look and walked away :)

after 20 yrs you would think I would know if that means he will cut it again? :(

so I guess the saga continues!

nutti :) :lol:

Nutti, you are better off than I am. I get "The LOOK" way before he starts and I can never tell if it means yes he'll help or if it means, "were you talkin to me" LOL :)

Why not use foam baord (1" thick) since you are covering it with paper clay. Just a thought. I am adding a downstairs to my haunted house kit too. It won't be a haunted house though LOL. :lol:

Hi Nutti,

What about cutting it yourself? I run across scroll saws fairly often at yard sales - I would think that would cut through what you need. They're easy to use and I think probably the safest of all power saws - just be sure to wear goggles and keep your fingers away from the blade. :)

Just a thought

-David

- just be sure to wear goggles and keep your fingers away from the blade.  :) 

Just a thought

-David

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah yes. Something the snake charmer never learned either. He cut his left-hand (poor left hand takes a beating doesn't it) ring finger on a table saw a while back. Fileted it right open ....

well it has crossed my mind about learning to use the big tools but have you ever read any of my "nutti" post? some people should just not be around power tools

could be me and Im afraid to test the theory. :)

also those tools are out in the garage and Im afraid of Hubby's garage :)

he never puts anything away when he is done doing "honey do's"

so I like to stay inside where its safe.

nutti :lol:

HAHA ! I know Nutti all to well and Beleive me that would not be a very good Idea to give her a saw and have her cut the wood herself *snickers* she would cut something that she shouldn't have! like umm her Thumb or Other things! that I should not mention. :)

all though I do love her very much! It's still not a good idea *snickers*

Nutti and power tools is a BIG NONO! :lol:

Hugsss

Sabrina

P.S. "I like to stay inside where its safe!" .. *Clears throat* are you sure about that at times? *grins*

sooo much love!

I do not want filiet hand or other things that could get in the way.

so Ill just complain and whine....ooopppsss....someone call the WWHHAAAAA-mbulance!

were off to big lots in the am so maybe Ill get more wood at the home depot while we are out.

nutti :)

Nutti, You can seal both sides of the foamboard after you build your structure and paperclay away. Foamboard is a "sandwich" of a slick, heavy paper covering a layer of dense foam and I use it for walls from time to time, most recently in DS#3's atrium roombox (which I'll post whenever the problem I'm having posting to my gallery goes away...); in fact, I only papered one side of the foamboard for that project and it didn't warp, but for a dividing wall in my first Sugarplum I papered both sides.

I have used the stuff for a couple of my projects and it turned out great!!! I have some left over gator foam that I will be using and you better believe if I run out, I will have my handy, dandy foam board!!

:)

Seal both sides like Holly said and it really works.

:lol: