how can I make my Glencroft's mantles look polished?

Elsbeth

Well, I'm at the spackling stage of the glencroft, and while I wait for spackle to dry, I tend to do as much staining as I can between tasks.

I love the little mantle pieces for both the upstairs and downstairs fireplaces, and I have arefully applied putty, etc to make them smooth little pieces of lumber.

Now...how do I make them shine?

I sanded, filled, and stained, but I can't seem to make them shine.

What is a good product for a high gloss look?

I want it to look like my dolls (of their doll-help) spent some time polishing that mantle.

Here's a pic of the glencroft in progress:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v102/jen.../glencroft1.jpg

This is the first Duracraft I've done by myself (the last one was about 20 years ago with my parents - they made me sand and sand!)

Can anyone see the frangelico in the background?

Now how classy is that?

I should actually go have a drink now that those kitchen beams are in.

It's looking good Jenn! Don't you just love the Glencroft? It's a real charmer and soooooooo much fun to build. I love the design and the woodwork and the beams and the doors...............well, okay, so I love everything about it.

I did the mantles in my Glencroft just a little bit different because I wanted a broader base to hold things like the wizard's awards and his late wife's ashes. I used pieces of basswood, but like you, I really wanted that high gloss shine to them as if they'd been polished lovingly for decades. To get the shine to them, apply a thin coat of high gloss poly varnish, let it dry and then lightly sand it with a very fine grain sandpaper. Then varnish it again and repeat the process. I usually use three to four coats of varnish with a nice smooth sanding in between each coat. It's the sanding that brings up that deep shine in the woodwork. It takes some time, but it's oh so worth it.

Deb

If the stain is the color you want, lightly sand to remove any remaining splinters. Wipe it clean and apply a gloss polyurethane. Wait for it to dry, use steel wool (#0000), wipe clean and apply polyurethane again. If the shine is to your liking, stop. If not apply a third coat.

ooooh - thanks guys. I will try this.

I really want it to shine! lol!

Thank you!

I DO love this kit - it is challenging, but I love how different it seems than the standard house. It's got great dimensions.

My doors don't seem to fit anymore since I spackled. Oh dear.

And I think above I said Duracraft, but I meant GREENLEAF I swear.

I love this house.

I think I'm going to try a slate floor for the kitchen.

Thanks again for the mantle tips!

Edited by Elsbeth

My doors don't seem to fit anymore since I spackled. Oh dear.
That's normal. The wood swells a bit with the moisture from the spackle. The doors will also swell a bit when you stain them. Just be prepared to do some very gradual sanding on the edges of the doors. The Glencroft doors are three layers (and aren't they just the *BEST* mini doors ever!!! They're drop-dead gorgeous!!), so glue all three door layers together after you stain them, then work on the sanding. Sand a little, then fit them into the door frame and see where you need to sand a little more. Personally, I like doors to be slightly open because I think the open doors give the impression of movement in the house. If the doors are ajar, you don't have to worry about them fitting into the opening anymore. :Jumpy:

I think I'm going to try a slate floor for the kitchen.

Oh cool!! With the beamed ceilings, a slate floor would be soooooooooo perfect. What kind of slate did you have in mind? Have you seen the Greenleaf tiles yet? IMO, the one inch squares would be easy to fit into any shape room and besides that, they'd be fun to do.

What else do you have planned for your Glencroft?

Deb

Jenn, the only thing I'd add is that after the 0000 steel wool take a scrap of brown paper grocery bag and finish sanding with that. It will make your mantles gleam with that satiny patina of well-polished age.

I put my Glencroft doors and window frames into the vice to sand them to fit until I have now developed a routine!

Jenn, Love the house! It's the one that's on my wish list & you're doing a great job on it....let's see, I have a birthday next month...looks like it'd be a great birthday present to myself!

after the 0000 steel wool take a scrap of brown paper grocery bag and finish sanding with that. It will make your mantles gleam with that satiny patina of well-polished age.

Never heard this before, Holly....must try it!

WOW!

I used acrylic as you all suggested - and sanded with...a paper bag!!!

The paper bag trick TOTALLY WORKED!

My mantles look amazingly smooth!

I don't know how or why - but it worked!

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!

Will post pics when I'm further along!

I don't know how or why - but it worked!

The brown paper bag is very slightly abrasive in & of itself. You ought to see what it does to finish a turning! After I do the cutting I finish shaping with a needle file and then with an emery board, and last with a piece of brown paper bag folded into a strip, and the finished piece come off the lathe smooth as a baby's tusch.

Can I use the paperbag sanding on anything?

I don't know about anything not wood; any turners out there who know? It works on wood a charm, used last, after all the grades of sandpaper & the 0000 steel wool, even on bare wood. IMHO it would make the cradle look soft & satiny.