Printable fabric help

I have some printable fabric sheets and want to print mini designs on them. My printer uses huge amounts of ink, making any print on basic printer paper, vellum, acetate or fabric a dirty blurry mess (it is meant for good quality prints on high quality/photo paper). So I am wondering if anyone else gets good quality prints on such materials with their printer and if so, what brand/model is their printer? I am going to buy a cheap printer but want to be sure it will work. Thanks!

Hi Shannon,

I have an inexpensive Epson printer. It did a great job on printable silk and cotton.

On your fancy printer, is there a way to reduce the print quality....reduce the dpi?

Hi Carrie! Thanks gor replying. Oirs is an Epson too, but no, it doesn't even offer a draft quality print. I probably need to contact support and ask but find they are generally pretty useless. I will take a look to see if I can reduce the DPI.

If your prints are coming out blurry, the problem could be that the image's dpi isn't high enough. Something that looks good on a monitor will look blurry when you print it out unless the dpi is 300 or more.

I have a cheap HP DeskJet printer. It's been fine for mini printing but the ink is expensive, and I don't use it often enough so the ink dries up before I get much use out of it. I've taken some things to a local print shop to have them printed for me there instead, for a few dollars a page, but that doesn't help you with the fabric.

(The model number of my DeskJet is 1112 but it's discontinued now.)

Thanks Emily. I don't think that is the problem. I have drawing programs that I can save images in high DPI and they will print well on photo paper or high resolution paper but everything else they're blurry. I did consider asking a printing service to print for me, but not sure they'd print on fabric. And that it might be the same problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Have you thought about uploading to Spoonflower? You could order as a fat quarter if you don’t need a lot of fabric. Last time I ordered they were $5 and have a lot of fabric styles to choose from. You can also put a bunch together as a fat quarter “quilt” to and order by the yard to save money if you have a lot of styles. Also you can order swatches before you order to see the quality of what they offer. Hope this helps.

Edited by Pezz26

Thanks Pezz26, hadn't thought of spoonflower, but could've been an option, but I have lots of expensive printer fabric sheets going to waste in my cupboard. I took a risk and bought a cheap Canon printer and it works great. Haven't tried vellum or acetate but the fabric went well.