Advice and ideas - art noveau shop?

MamaV

Hi everybody, I'm trying to think of ways to make my Unknown Colonial (think a big two-story brick, currently in pieces) into an Art Noveau (spelling optional) department store. All the designs Pinterest throws at me are for kitchens or bathrooms, neither of which are necessarily what I need, plus the amount of detail and stained glass make my knees a bit weak. Who knows if it'll stick as an idea, or if it's even in my realm of ability as of yet, but I figured I'd ask around :) In the meantime, I'll keep researching architecture from the time and going from there. Thanks! ~Lucy

8 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Dover Publications does a coloring book of 1:12 dollhouse stained glass windows; Jim's Printmini site has some stained glass windows (Tiffany, no less!) you can print off to use.

EXCELLENT. I wonder how you print them off clear…I’ve “made my own” with some plastic laminate I drew on with dry erase markers and then re-laminated to make it all stay put, so maybe there’s tracings in my future…

• Like 1

The coloring book pages are printed on vellum.  You could go over the lead lines with acrylic paint from the tube.  I printed the Printmini windows on transparency film for printers, you just need to be sure it feeds through your printer to print on the rough side.  Otherwise you can tape clear acetate to your printed stained glass and trace the lead lines with the aforementioned thick acrylic paint (a small trace of titanium white mixed with black gives a nice "lead" color) and use transparent watercolor with a drop or two of gum arabic for the clear color areas.

• Like 2

There are books on art nouveau architecture that could help. And so many images on Pinterest. Like most architecture, the variation and amount of decoration/detail varies significantly and from country to country. Did you have a location in mind? English, French, Spanish? Our art nouveau architecture in Australia is quite different again (probably a lot simpler!).

• Like 1

I went through both @shannonc60 and @Mid-life madness’s links and wow, there is so much I could do! I have to make sure I don’t do too much. I’m probably going to have to round a lot of edges on the exterior of the house; any advice on what material to do that with? Paper clay, spackle, joint compound…???