To wire or not to wire

Joazaum

I am finishing my HOFCO classic Victorian house.  I bought a tape wiring kit (NRFB) 35 years ago, and I am intimidated with the challenge of installing it.  What do I need to consider before going down this road? For example, how many rooms to wire, one floor both floors, will it create a seam in the wall?  I am not sure if the kit even works.  Or, should I omit since this house is for my future grandchildren and not for display....

Honestly, I wouldn't wire a house that kids are going to play with. Miniature wiring (especially tape wire) is extremely finicky and frustrating and delicate. Every time I do it, I say I'm never going to do it again.... and then I do it again and wonder why I did it. 🤪

If you do decide to go through with it, this guide will help: https://forum.greenleafdollhouses.com/gallery/category/16-darrells-electrification-super-guide/

And there are a lot of threads on the forum about electricity that you can find with a search.

18 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

Battery operated lights would be good if kids are going to play.

Depends on the age of the kids. I wouldn't put any kinds of lights in a house meant for any kid under 12 years old. Toddlers and young children do not have the small motor skills needed to turn on those teensy switches. And their play with the houses is usually during daylight hours, when lights are most likely off anyway.

• 1 month later...

Thanks all for the feedback. I decided not to wire. I saw some puck lighting and the use of battery operated lights hung with magnets. So much more other work to do, but I am open to alternative lighting suggestions.