Newbie Hello

Cynde_S

Hello all! My name is Cynde. I live in SW Ohio, but my home and heart are still in Pittsburgh PA. 

I built my first dollhouse, a Colonial, when I was 11, with my dad. My second dollhouse was the Beacon Hill in my early 20s. 

Many decades & much work raising 4 kids on my own, plus cancer at 39, and a stroke in February of this year led me back to the world of miniatures. Honestly it's a lot harder post stroke. My granddaughter is only 4, so no rush on this one. I'm tackling The Garfield. I may need a little direction. Any volunteers?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Cynde_S said:

Any volunteers?

You bet--there is a boatload of volunteers here! Ask a question and you will probably get more answers than you expect. Each of us finds the way to work that most suits our skill level, experience, and temperament. You can choose which approach suits you, or develop your own resolution when a challenge presents itself. Enjoy the experience and don't think about deadlines. 

Welcome to the little family, Cynde.  Post-stroke you'll want to take things slow to get back your fine motor skills; but having raised four kids on your won, AND beating cancer, you're a pro at patience.  I know I'll be following your Gafield with interest; when I finish with my present onslaught of medical "stuff" and get back to finishing the Lily I had to put on hold, I want to build the Garfield while I'm still on this side of the dirt.

Welcome!  The Garfield is a great house to start with.  I have built/ am building four of them as part of a giant castle.  Despite its size, I have found it one of the easier dollhouses to build.  You may want to consider painting or partially wallpapering and flooring before you put it all together as some of the areas are a bit tricky to reach.  Otherwise, it is a very forgiving house with a lot of flexibility in design.  Good luck, and I hope you enjoy!