Orchid dollhouse roof

I'm just going to skip the gushing that I could probably do for hours and get to the problem. I'm a good part of the way into my dollhouse and I'm getting ready to shingle -- I drew careful lines across the roof and picked my colors to paint and installed the dormers and gable, though I did decide I'm going to make paper templates for the roof so I guess the lines ON the roof were unnecessary but live and learn.

I just sat down to start prepping the shingles and I can't figure out how to safely pop them from the sheets they're on! 🙁 Everything I see online seems to be talking about shingles in bags, speed strip shingles, or diy shingles. Mine are laser cut paper except instead of paper it's sheets of wood. How can I pop them out without damaging them?

2 hours ago, KelundSchatten said:

Mine are laser cut paper except instead of paper it's sheets of wood. How can I pop them out without damaging them?

Try gently bending them back and forth at the score lines. They should pop apart. Keep in mind that the edges will not have paint on them, so you will need to do a fair amount of touching up. Also, you may want to paint the roof pieces the same color as the shingles or there will be annoying spots of raw wood here and there, where the shingles do not meet.

I just finished shingling my Orchid. I taped each row of shingles so I could apply them as one strip, then bent them back and forth to pop them out of the frame. For the few parts that wouldn't pop out, I cut them with scissors. I made roof templates and hot glued the strips of shingles to the template then hot glued the template to the roof. Then stained. It all looks so good. 

Hot glue is great for spot gluing whilst your carpenters' wood glue sets up and dries.  The reason not to use hot glue to assemble dollhouse parts is that over time it lets go (my personal horror story was watching the hot glue built Greenleaf dollhouse in the window of the real estate office across the street from the church we attended for the hubs' family's reunion fall apart).

• Like 1

On 7/12/2023 at 8:16 PM, havanaholly said:

Hot glue is great for spot gluing whilst your carpenters' wood glue sets up and dries.  The reason not to use hot glue to assemble dollhouse parts is that over time it lets go (my personal horror story was watching the hot glue built Greenleaf dollhouse in the window of the real estate office across the street from the church we attended for the hubs' family's reunion fall apart).

I have read throughout this forum that hot glue is ok for shingles since they are not structural. 

• 2 months later...

I know EXACTLY what you mean! I would gently bend them to see if they're willing to give, one at a time, and if not, I used a razor blade to cut them loose. Scissors also can work. When it came down to it, though, I lost a lot, and ended up buying big popsicle sticks from Hobby Lobby (I think it was maybe $2 for 50 in a bag!) and just cut the ends off of them...they worked out pretty well if you're on a budget! 

Roofing is another of my experiments.  I use coarse sandpaper for asphalt shingles a lot.  I dampen corrugated cardboard to remove one outer layer and cut the rippled part to fit the roof pieces, spray the cardboard with metallic Rustoleum and glue the pieces of cardboard to the roof pieces for a "tin" roof.  I have also layered torn pieces of construction paper onto shingles cut from construction paper and painted them to look like slate.  (sandpaper is also nice to use for bricks)

• Like 1

On 9/26/2023 at 1:25 PM, havanaholly said:

Roofing is another of my experiments.  I use coarse sandpaper for asphalt shingles a lot.  I dampen corrugated cardboard to remove one outer layer and cut the rippled part to fit the roof pieces, spray the cardboard with metallic Rustoleum and glue the pieces of cardboard to the roof pieces for a "tin" roof.  I have also layered torn pieces of construction paper onto shingles cut from construction paper and painted them to look like slate.  (sandpaper is also nice to use for bricks)

Whoa, I need to keep these in mind for options! On my newest dollhouse (the Unknown at the moment) the shingles are just cardstock paper that I want to replace...now I have a lot of options!