Need Pierce staircase advice!

Karen RN

Hi, I'm brand new to this forum, and I'm rehabbing a Pierce house that I bought on Marketplace. The stairs were done poorly and I have no instructions but planning on contacting the company.  Does anybody know if they can be removed or does it support the second floor? I'd really like to remove them to have an open concept room. Thanks for any suggestions! 🙂

Hi Karen. Welcome to the forum. 

I moved the staircase to the side in my Pierce, which is being bashed into a inn and restaurant. It did not seem to support the second floor. I added a couple of walls, but they are not really load-bearing, as they are removable. You should not have a support problem when you remove the stairs from your rehab.

You can see what I did in my blog. Scroll down to see the entries about the stairway. KathieB's Minis: Pierce (kathiebminis.blogspot.com)

If you are going to remove them and not use them it will be easier to get them out. If you are going to use them you will have to deconstruct the whole house because of the way they fit in. Unless someone else has a better way of getting them out. But the tabs and the way the top railing slides over and under the 2nd floor sandwiching it could be a problem.

Kathie B, I love the staircase to the side! It looks like you moved it during your build. Mine is already in place and looks like it would have to be destroyed to remove it and replaced with something else. 

Just now, Karen RN said:

Kathie B, I love the staircase to the side! It looks like you moved it during your build. Mine is already in place and looks like it would have to be destroyed to remove it and replaced with something else. 

20230430_181303.jpg

Hi Medieval, thanks for your advice! I was thinking it was inserted with tabs and would need my mini construction crew to demo. I just can't get into such a tight space to fix the stairs so it would have to go. Is there a subfloor under the staircase or would I need to install flooring? Either way I'd have to replace flooring which isn't in great shape either. It's currently wood look paper with modern podge. I want wood flooring anyway-- any suggestions?? Thanks so much!

20230430_181303.jpg

20230308_175644~2.jpg

Your house looks fully stocked and well loved in! There is the plywood floor under stairs.

Do you have access to a Cricut? I created a basketweave parquet floor design that could be cut on thin plywood. I could send you the temple, if you wish. I made interlocking blocks so it goes together like tile if you score softer wood like balsa, or you can cut them out individually and piece them together by hand.

rsz_220230506_120444.jpg

Hi Medieval, I don't have a Cricut but I'll figure out the flooring later. I like your idea of carving into soft wood instead of laboriously placing wood stick by stick. I also LOVE your ceiling; what a creative way to do that! My husband got the staircase out intact bless his heart so I can refurbish it and now have access to the little hallway by the front door to paint and add baseboard and crown molding. Thinking of a French country theme with slightly rough textured walls and beams...my mind is going in all different directions lol! I've started the stonework and will be finishing the roof in black... Thanks for your expert advice!

20230308_180140~2.jpg

• Like 1

Karen, I cut iron-on wood veneer strips I buy at the hardware store to make "boards" and spot-glue them into place with small beads of tacky glue, and then iron them into place with the iron at its highest setting:

bedroom flooringgoing together

Edited by havanaholly

Medieval, he just used a chisel and small mallet and off it came. The tabs are still in the slots though. Trying to decide whether to use the staircase or ditch it and make an open concept living room/ kitchen with a half wall to create a small foyer. Too many decisions!!! I'm having a great time with this though!!

Havanaholly, I forgot about the iron on wood veneer. There are so many tight corners in the Pierce that I'd have attach the veneer to a template first and then glue it in to the dollhouse. So much harder to rehab one that's been already built. I'll definitely keep this in mind!

• 1 month later...

I removed mine by using a thin hand saw to cut off the tabs at the top and the bottom.  I also cut out the stair rail because I didn't like that it blocked the view to the front door.  THEN I got creative and cut out a square to make a built in book case for the dining room.  You don't have to disassemble the house.