Candle wick flooring

cgm79

I'm using cherry wood candle wicks for a hardwood floor.  They look terrific and they are easy to work with, but . . . the moisture content of the wood glue I'm using is making them curl up at the edges.  Weighting with heavy books flattens everything out.  I'm afraid they'll start curling up when it gets really humid.  I'm trying to figure out what kind of finish I can use to block moisture absorption.  I'm considering an oil-based polyurethane finish, but was wondering if anyone has other/better suggestions.

I just googled candle wicks and they look perfect for flooring! I don't think you'll have a problem with curling once the glue dries, but you might try tacky glue instead of wood glue to prevent that initial curling.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've finished a 12x12 inch section of floor.  Despite using heavy weights immediately after placement, the wood continue to warp.  However, I've just spent a good 15 minutes sanding this area and it looks a lot better -- almost smooth.  Since I have the polyurethane on hand, I'll try that on this section.  If it works, great!  If it doesn't I'll be moving on to some of your other suggestions.

• 4 weeks later...

Instead of an oil-based polyurethane, you might want to explore water-based polyurethane finishes. They tend to have lower levels of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and dry clear, providing a protective coating while minimizing the risk of moisture absorption. Another is Epoxy resin which is a durable and moisture-resistant coating that can provide a glossy finish. It creates a hard and protective barrier that should help block moisture absorption and potentially prevent the curling of the cherry wood wicks.