Building a House

MiniMadWoman

I've decided for my "first build" I'm going to do a smaller house than the Glencroft. I admit I'm just a little bit intimidated starting with a larger house. :lol: I'm wondering though which "small" house would be appropriate to house 'Goldilocks and the Three Bears'? I'm thinking the Arthur, but I don't know . . . :blink: Suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks! :lol:

The Arthur is an extremely easy build and very flexible. It would allow the bears to have either two bedrooms or a bedroom and a bath.

If you prefer a more fairy-tale-like setting, the Coventry Cottage is a very small house that would be just about filled by the furniture mentioned in the story (three beds, a table with three chairs, and somewhere to cook the porridge).

I like the Coventry Cottage for a theme house too. I built mine as a Christmas House, but I think any of the small houses would go well with the fairy tale - they all have cute designs and an abundance of trim.

I think you're sensible to start small and get a feel for kit building.

Wizzy :blink:

The Coventry Cottage is the one that comes to my mind. There's another I'm thinking of -- I think it's called the Diana? -- but it's discontinued and I can't find any on eBay right now.

The Arthur and the Orchid both seem too big to me, for this kind of project. They're really houses, not cottages, and I see the three bears living in a very cozy place.

I agree that the Coventry is more cottagey - and definitely it's quick to fill.

And what about the Primrose? It's plainer than most of the designs, but it's definitely easy to build and is cottage size - it would be small enough that you could afford to add a slightly larger base and a little garden.... maybe a beehive?

Wizzy

Thanks so much for the input! After viewing all the choices I'm having a difficult time deciding, but I'm now leaning towards the "Aster". It just looks kind of "bearish" to me and I love the fireplace for cooking porridge. The only thing I'd change though is to have the second floor go all the way across so that I can easily fit three beds in (one twin, one full and one queen/king). Would that be hard to do? :blink:

Wizzy, I love the beehive idea! Definitely will be adding that to the landscape! :lol:

If I were going to build a cottage for the 3 bears I would go with either the Aster or the Sugarplum. I don't think I'd use standard people-sized beds, Papa & Mama Bear's beds could each be Hollywood bed-sized (3/4 standard double?) & both Baby Bear & Goldilocks ought to fit into one of those little "junior" beds (one step up/ or down/ from a crib); a bed like the one that comes with the Sugarplum kit ought to be "just right" for Mama & Papa.

I agree with Holly-- a more fairy tale setting seems charming, especially making the bears beds smaller, etc.

Have you thought of who to buy the bears and Goldilocks from yet? there are some doll artists out there that are really talented in making animals with clothes, etc.

Lisa, I know where I'd get Goldilocks, but aren't sure of where to get the bears. Can you tell me about some of the artists? :blink: Also, on ebay they have a "Barbie - Kelly as Goldilocks" that I'm considering, but it doesn't have the 'bears'.

"Barbie - Kelly as Goldilocks"

Not that it may matter, but Barbie dolls are 1/6" scale, 6"= 1', not 1/12" scale (12"=1'), so Kelly might be a (I can't help it, it HAS to come out!) wee bit too big for the Aster...

Thanks, havanaholly! I wondered about that. :blink: I guess I'll stick to my original idea about where to get "Goldilocks". Now, if I could just find those bears . . . . :lol:

Aha! Dover Publications had a book of teddybear patterns in various sizes (I made several) that one could reduce on a copier and make up to live in the cottage, and Better Homes and Gardens publishes a book, Country Dolls , that has patterns for 1/12" scale rag-doll dollhouse dolls (I made up a family of them for DGD's first dollhouse), the little girl could make a charming Goldilocks with yellow-gold embroidery-floss hair in pigtails & a wee gingham check dress & batiste pinafore might be "just right" :blink:

I would vote for the Sugarplum cottage, personally. That was my first scratch-built Greenleaf house and it is really perfect, being a Tudor and all, and also having a very simple design.

But, and don't shoot me here, the first house that I ever built was a Victorian Cottage, Jr. by Real Good Toys... VERY easy to assemble and I really did make it a 3 bears house. It was adorable!

I bought Cottage Collectibles bears to use for my house. Boyd's also makes little tiny ones you can use. You can find them in lots of gift shops and doll/bear shops. I think they were around $10 each.

I love the idea of the Bear Family being Boyds :) Heidi Ott makes a little girl doll that would be perfect for Goldilocks. Does anyone know why Craft Club has quit carrying the Heidi Ott dolls (they were all on clearance in my last catalogue)?