Sugarplum Cottage becomes Monarch Butterfly Cottage

KathieB

54 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Aging and maybe a tad of weathering.  Maybe the gold, black and white stripes for bench seats or cushions.

No cushions or other domestic touches. I'm thinking this cottage has not been lived in by humans or fairies for many a moon and is being reclaimed by Mother Nature. There are plans for the stripes that you keep plugging, but I'm keeping mum about it for now. 🤐

On 3/31/2023 at 5:09 PM, KathieB said:

... I'm thinking this cottage has not been lived in by humans or fairies for many a moon and is being reclaimed by Mother Nature. ...

I knew as soon as I typed the above that someone or something would be knocking at the door, and sure enough, there came a tap, tap, tap. I have a kit for an 18th c. lady peddler who may like to live here. Apparently, Mother Nature will have to wait a while. :D 

New blog post: KathieB's Minis: Sugarplum Cottage to Monarch Cottage 08 (kathiebminis.blogspot.com)

19 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

I'm so glad to see that you kept Mme Laveau!

The houses went to auction but the residents stayed with me. :) 

On 4/7/2023 at 9:22 PM, havanaholly said:

Oh, looking SO good!

Thank you! I have not put the felt/sod on the gable over the front door yet. I'm afraid it will look too bulky. I have a few shingles (painted green) stuck on the gable as a test, but am not sure that's the way to go. Will try to get photos posted tomorrow. It has been a busy week. Retirement isn't for sissies. :D 

If you have any water-based wood stain, could you experiment on kit scraps and see how it would work over the porch benches?  Or maybe dilute some umber acrylic paint and wash it over the edges?

Just now, havanaholly said:

If you have any water-based wood stain, could you experiment on kit scraps and see how it would work over the porch benches?  Or maybe dilute some umber acrylic paint and wash it over the edges?

Both are possibilities. I'm debating between brown or black washes. I think brown would lean more toward aging and black toward a negligent housekeeper. 😧 And/or some vines growing over the backs of the benches and a butterfly or two on them might break up the blank solidness that is troubling me. One morning I will wake up with the solution. :) 

9 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I used embroidered ribbon for baseboards in my White Orchid Santa's house.

Hmm :hmm: ... I wonder what kind of ribbons I might find in the ribbon stash ... heading off to take a look.

The Monarchs have landed!

The ribbon stash was not fruitful. I cut the part of the cereal box into half-inch strips and covered them with the same wood-grained  Contact paper that covers all of the other wooden parts of the cottage. Simple, yet effective. :) 

KathieB's Minis: Sugarplum Cottage to Monarch Cottage 17 (kathiebminis.blogspot.com)