Beacon Hill Stair Removal?

ChelseaP

Hi everyone! Has anyone successfully removed the bottom staircase after it has been glued in? I’m trying to rehab one my grandfather built decades ago for me, but he painted and glued everything down and I’d really like to remove it for finishing (there is no wallpaper, flooring, etc) - and the whole thing needs repainted. 

I was able to get some of the pieces on the second floor off with a heat gun, but I can’t see a way to get the first floor out aside from demolishing it altogether. 😫

Have you tried cutting through the paint and glue where it is mostly likely attached. You can use a box knife or X-acto knife.

You might have to cut it out. https://www.amazon.com/Modelling-Hacksaw-Pieces-Cutting-Branches/dp/B08SQQHD9M

Or, you could try using a paint stripper or google a glue remover.

I know those stairs are difficult to install in the first place, so you might need to saw through the tabs that are inserted into the floor

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

KathieB made her BH stairs removable by removing the tabs.

That and a lot of shaving and tweaking ... but that was before they were glued in place. Chelsea's challenge is a different kettle of fish.

ChelseaP I need to do the same.  There is a you tube clip of someone constructing the stairs, which was helpful to see.  I was hoping I could try and reverse the process, however mine seem very well glued in.  Hopefully with the tips above, we can get the stairs out sucessfully, as I think renovating them while in place is going to be very difficult. 

3 hours ago, picklebum said:

I think renovating them while in place is going to be very difficult. 

Which is why I decided to make mine removable in the initial building process. Good luck to both of you!