A Covid Christmas -- traditions evolve

KathieB

Our family group living near one another comprises my sister and brother-in-law, their two daughters and spouses, my 6-year-old grandniece, and me. In keeping with tradition, they will all gather on Christmas eve to celebrate the grandniece's birthday and again on Christmas afternoon to celebrate Christmas. Three of the adults are not vaccinated (my sister and one of her daughters and the daughter's husband). I am not comfortable getting together with them in an indoors setting. I was resigned to Christmas alone until the vaccinated parents of the 6-year-old invited me to come over Christmas morning for breakfast and to enjoy opening presents with the kid. This has brightened my spirits considerably. What can be better than celebrating with a child?

Every year on her birthday, I've baked sugar cookies in the shape of the number signifying her age. She leaves one of them for Santa. Her father is coming by today to pick up the "6" cookies so they will be on hand Christmas eve. I will bring their presents with me the next morning.

How has the pandemic altered your holiday traditions?

No difference at our house these past years.  Son #3 escaped a dangerously toxic situation in early August and as soon as we dealt with his injuries we got him immunized; we got together with son #2 & wife for early Thanksgiving, and they are both fully immunized.  

• 4 weeks later...

Leading up to Christmas we would normally have gone out for various Christmas dos with work colleagues, different groups of friends etc, but this year we and our extended families all stayed home so that we'd have minimum exposure to others before we got together for Christmas day and a follow up with other family a couple days after. Happy that all adults have been vaccinated and boosted and we could keep each other safer. 

We did have a scare where Natasha's taste went a bit (not completely) 10 days before Christmas. She'd had covid 7 weeks before and now had a bit of a cold, but with the new variant we just weren't sure. So quickly had her tested, preparing ourselves to celebrate on the 27th instead. Then her test result took 5 days to come back as 'unreadable, please do another' so if the new test would take 5 days for results too, we'd essentially find out Christmas day whether we could safely meet or not! Lateral flow test was negative, but couldn't trust that completely. Thankfully 2nd test result came back in 24 hours I think, and she was negative, so we could safely meet with family. 

• Like 1