Just joined, project is the Garfield 1:12. At the open box stage

Vickid

My first dollhouse was a brick 2 story, 9 room house in the mid 70s.  My bucket list actually was to do the Queen Ann house by Real Good Toys, but that has gone beyone my $$.  A couple of years ago, I made the Orchid House by Greenleaf.  Got a 2nd place ribbon for seniors at the Lancaster Fair.  The Garfield and the Beacon House - both by Greenleaf is waiting for me.  I am going the do the Garfield first.  I've been reading the warm up page and the directions.  I'm torn between finishing #2 Assembled & decorated  and method C.  Since i'm at the end of my 70s, which would be better?  I don't think I'm going to need to change the paper or carpet, or etc.

Any suggestions of what y'all have enjoyable in the method you used?  Winter is just starting so I'm not rushing this project. 

I'm a former nurse, volunteer with 4-H, Grange, Town boards and area groverment  boards.  I am also a dollmaker, weaver, knitter,  and quilter but this year, a house builder.  I live in NH USA

I have just made of list of what I need to purchase to get started.  

Edited by Vickid

Welcome to the little family, Vicki. I am also a former nurse, dollmaker, knitter, former quilter and as this year's birthday a 30-year dollhouse builder, and I will turn 80 in December.

If your instructions mention hot-melt glue, please use a good wood glue like Titebond instead.  Also pick up a couple of rolls of blue painter's tape to put the house together before you begin to glue (what we call the dry fit) because sometimes the tabs won't fit the slots exactly and may need sanding or shaving to fit better.  Also, I'm a visual learner and I find I understand the instructions better if I dry fit first.  Sometimes I let the house sit in dry fit whilst it tells me what it wants.  Once I start gluing I use a heavy duty staple gun to hold freshly glued parts together whilst the glue dries, in addition to the painter's tape.

welcome to the family, Im working on three halloween houses right now building them from carboard and joint compound I learned how to do it from Aria on Youtube when the lockdown happened, I just finished the Camp Arawak Cabin (sleepaway camp), Night of the living dead farmhouse from 1968 and I have a mock up of the Benoit House from It ready to go.I have to give credit to Lance Cardinal for the Benoit House he did all the heavy lifting on his blog so I just followed along. I'll post a link below if you want to check it out.  Im not doing the yard just the house and Im making it to scale for the 6 inch Neca figure.  I'll be 64 in January 

here is Lances Blog

http://lancecardinal.blogspot.com/2017/11/stephen-kings-it-movie-set-replica.html

• Like 1

I've been trying to find info on the Garfield and i'm just not sure where to go.  I read that it sands better after painting,  What I have done so far, is punch out the foundation.  I see that someone took pictures of the foundation taped together but it isn't painted.  Should I paint and then sand to make it all fit together?  And where do I look for the Garfield specific blogs?

This has been an interesting site.  I think I mentioned I put the Orchird house into the fair and the only complant I got ( 2nd place) was the hot glue showing so I don't think I'm gooing to use the hot glue on this house.

Thanks for any info.

Hi Vicki,

Here is a great blog on the Garfield and many other houses. She is a prolific builder, so don't compare yourself to her.  https://moreminis.blogspot.com/2017/09/the-garfield-dollhouse-blog.html

At this point the only sanding I would do is the tab and slots.....when you are doing the dry fit. You might want to prime the areas you are going to paint with a good primer. I like the Zinsser brand. It is a white shellac. Do not prime anything that you are going to stain. Leave the edges clean where you are going to apply glue. You can always prime the shell of the house once you have it glued together. Most people prime the interior walls anyway.

I admire you for choosing such a grand house.....I love the assembly part of making a dollhouse!

• Thanks 1