John William Waterhouse - The Lady of Shalott - 1888

jaxenro

I have a few taped to the board - first mounted on linen backing which will be trimmed afterwards - then taped down so they don't warp when the texture and varnish is applied - a Vermeer and two by Bouguereau - there is another Vermeer off to the left

RLPHNIG.jpg

Joel. have you tried printing them on cloth? You can iron cotton or linen fabric to the plastic side of freezer paper, trim it to a size that will go through your printer. It is easy enough to peel off the paper when you are finished coating them.  The cotton weave (I'm thinking old sheet or pillow case) will be more in scale than the regular artists canvas

I'm wondering if I would lose some detail printing on something with a texture. It isn't like with most oil paintings, after the canvas is sized, the oil applied, and the varnish applied, that you can see the canvas usually only on the back.

Anyway I am not 100% satisfied with the gel medium/varnish I am using. On some it looks good on others the varnish smooths the sharper edges of the gel medium too much when I am trying for more definition, like with a van Gogh. I am going to try a mix of matte medium, a little gloss medium, and a dab of varnish in the medium and try to work one out that has the "look" I want

• 4 months later...

I've been fairly satisfied with using a specialty printer paper that can be ironed onto fabric after it's printed. But I don't think that this will achieve the specific texturing you're looking for...have you tried Liquitex modeling paste? That might give you satisfying results in the texture for a van gogh...