Construction advise needed.

Crob3272

So we just got our second house, (our first one was a bust) and I was sitting up last night thinking about how to do doors. What is the best way to do the doors and windows? I messed up on the windows on the last one and ended up having to break them off. 

This go around we are going to complete 1 room at a time before moving on to constructing the next one. 

Any construction advise welcome.  

Crystal, before I assemble the parts of the house kit I trace the door and window openings onto pieces of 1/4" grid graph paper and use 1/4" X 1/8" strip wood to make boxes to fit the interior dimensions, and design my doors and transom windows to fit in the box.  Once the doors and window parts are made I set them in their boxes and nail steel dressmaker's pins through the box into the corners of the doors and window panes to pin-hinge them and glue the boxes into their openings once the house is assembled.

Are the windows arched as well?  Just curious to what house you are working on and what you did to "mess up" the windows on the first house....might help us give better advice. 

My advice is just to sand carefully; use a syringe or a toothpick to transfer glue onto small edges of window parts; use a gluing jig tray or even LEGO's (put together to form a 90* corner angle) to keep windows and doors straight while the glue dries; be sure to wipe off any excess glue; paint parts before any panes are installed, and paint interior trims as well!  Finish interior walls (paint or paper) before windows and doors are installed.