Adhesive tests

doogster

would tenax 7r work well on wood?

Unfortunately no. Actually it won't work at all on wood. Tenax and Ambroid are plastic solvents. For wood, stick to wood glue. And for building, if at all possible, stay well away from multi media. I was cruising on the Time Machine, and then realized plastic wasn't going to be nearly strong enough for the legs, so in walks brass, and just a whole lot of problems :woohoo:

I built the White Orchid a little over a year ago and I am the one who mentioned to Dean that he might want to let People know that the only glue I found that back then that gave a good, strong permanent bond was the Quick Grip. It is a little messy but it was the only thing that did not "give" after being put together for a week. Mine is still standing strong. I used a damp rag to wipe off access glue so Andrew I am enjoying reading you findings :D.

You ARE the Glue Guru around here ;)

Tracy, if you had another White Orchid and a bottle of Ambroid, you'd be like like Hammy with a can of Red Bull! Seriously for plastic this stuff is da bomb! I like da glue here, and I like it here, and I like it here, and here, oh, and some here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I LIKE DA COOKIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

We need a Hammy smilie.

Probably because I was still assimilating the glue info... I'm still curious to know about a) fumes and B) best application method.

Andrew, is the meth Cl the stuff you can use to glue acrylic panels? And did your kit come with acetate window inserts?

Yes and yes. Methylene chloride will work on acrylic. And yes I did get acetate windows. I prolly would not use the meth cl on the acetate. I've not seen the meth cl eat anything, but the acetate is pretty thin. If it's sandwitched, let it float, if it needs to be glued, go with white glue, Aleene's Tacky will likely work. If you love spending a lot of money buy Testors glue for clear parts. It's a tiny bottle for about 5 bucks, and it's PVA, polyvinyl acetate, AKA, white glue. But, of course, you would have the satisfaction of knowing you built it with real modeler's glue. :silly:

If it's sandwitched, let it float
That's what I was thinking for windows; I didn't get inserts with mine, guess I'll get to make them (ta-da!!!)

real modeler's glue.

I'm a modeler and my all-pupose white glue is Elmer's!lol

where does one find this wonder glue?

DH got his (he made acrylic boxes at one time) at Lowe's or Home Depot (more than 20 years ago, so I forget).

Tracy, if you had another White Orchid and a bottle of Ambroid, you'd be like like Hammy with a can of Red Bull! Seriously for plastic this stuff is da bomb! I like da glue here, and I like it here, and I like it here, and here, oh, and some here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I LIKE DA COOKIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

We need a Hammy smilie.

Andrew, I do still have one in the box and I will get some of this glue and use it on the next one! Thanks so much for trying and testing these things out for us :woohoo: :silly: