Question about making a building

beccas1963

Hello all,

I was wondering something. I have a building in my town I would love to recreate in mini.

I have pics. I found the history of it. But the one thing that is kind of scaring me is that the first floor is 10 feet tall.

I dont have much room in my home. So was wondering if instead of 1:12 scale if I should go smaller but then if I go smaller where could I find the lovely decorations it has.

The new owners have put it back to the way it was so to speak but mine wont have the the fire escape or anything like that lol.

http://www.beccasminis.com/mybuilding.htm

you may have to refresh and let it load for some reason, it dont like to load on the first couple of tries lol.

I would love any and all help.

Bec

Hi!

You say the first floor is 10 feet -- that's pretty standard Victorian building room height and would be 10" floor to ceiling in 1:12. How high are the other floors? If they are also 10', your finished building will be 30" tall, not a particularly oversized building height. However if you plan the floors to be in scale I would think those measurements would be more important because a room 20" or 30" would be huge. If this is the case, I'd do it in 1:24 and use Bespaq.

Lovely place. Looks very similar to many many buildings here in Quebec. Personally, I think one of the major characteristics of the building is actually the height.

If you decrease the height, you are going to loose a whole lot of the window to wall ratios. During this period of building, long and narrow windows is what gave these homes the wonderful character they have along with the decorative features.

Generally when we speak of not having a whole lot of room in our place (and trust me I can relate) for the small amount of difference in height of a few inches in 1:12 scale, I would say go for it. Plus depending on what you plan doing with the interior, it could have some magnificent grand walls and ceilings.

Good luck and hope to see what you end up doing.

Thank you! I really do appreciate any info I can get and I do want to try to stay true to the size cause I think it would lose alot of detail if I didnt.

and as far as the inside it was a general store / boot maker store. and I know the inside is brick so will be eventuly be making bricks but my worry was the overall look and now that I have found you all I am feeling this could be possible.

Bec :banana: