Mount Vernon in miniature

hollyclyff

We just returned from a visit to Washington DC yesterday. While we were there, we visited Mount Vernon. They just opened a new orientation center and museum on Friday. In the orientation center, they have a 1" scale model of the mansion. I don't know if it is new itself or not, but I thought it was so cool, I took pictures to share with anyone who hasn't seen it. The top goes up and down and the front opens and closes periodically. It closed while I was taking pictures. It's behind glass so the pictures aren't the best, but if you want to see, have a look. I'm clueless as to how to post a link, but the pictures are in my gallery. They also had a neat scale model of the gristmill, but it's in the musuem where they don't allow pictures.

If you just copy the address to the link it will let us view it :banana:

Isn't that a shame!! When I was a kid they allowed picture taking and Now-a-Days, I noticed that the Museums don't allow pictures. It's a shame especially when you want to remember an occassion. You can end up with 20 pictures of you standing on the OUTSIDE of the museum because you cant take pictures of the exhibits......Sorry about the ranting. I'll get off the soap box now :banana:

Museums don't allow pictures.

Someone told me once it had something to with the effect of flashbulb light damaging pigments (?), but I didn't think that was an issue any more with the digi cams. At the art museums in San Francisco I heard a "better" reason, the museum staff informed me if I wanted a picture of an item in the collection, the gift shop had postcards.

BTW, the Milwaukee Museum of Art let me take pictures, but the one I really wanted to turn out (the Chihuly sculpture in the foyer) didn't!

I went to the Kenosha Museum Last year several times (It's a small museum and Sarah and I go to "play" sometimes in there kid's room cause they have things you can touch & play with) and the last time I went, I was told I could not take pictures. This museum is so small but it had GREAT ideas for roomboxes or diarohmas so I was a bit said cause there was one scene I wanted to get better pictures of :o Here are the ones I was able to get before they changed the rule:

170791821vaPgTd_th.jpg

I LOVE museums though. So much wonderful history in one place. Maybe Sarah and I will go today.....:loveletter:

Actually, the reason is the light. I work at Smithsonian and my husband has a master's in museum studies and works in historic preservation, so we know a bit about this. Flash emits a brief but very intense burst of light, and light is the enemy when it comes to preserving museum objects. It fades ink on printed items, dyes in fabric and literally eats through fabric fibers. It degrades pretty much anything organic such as plant and animal specimens, and along with the acids found in wood and paper, can turn wood and products derived from wood to dust.

The flash of a few cameras will not produce any noticible damage, but the flash froom many cameras over many years can destroy a museum object. That is why museums sell post cards of some of their more popular exhibits. That way the objects are exposed to the flash of only one photographer's camera, and everyone can obtain the photo.

The goal of a museum is to preserve its collection so that we can all enjoy for as long as possible, so please understand when they request "no photos".

the Kenosha Museum Last year

We went while there & it's a wonderful museum! We loved their Native American dioramas. The day we went one of the hobby clubs had a show of their members' model WWII aircraft. It was awesome! I loved the "play" area, too, and I'm glad to see more small museums provide them (wish they had when our boys were small!).

I know that when we were visiting the Louvre in Paris last summer we were allowed to take pics as long as we didn't use a flash.

I know that the light destroys a lot so that might be the explanation, but then again there might be things with "copyright" issues as well, I don't know????

Hugs