Super Tacky Glue

blue_moon992

I may get beaten up for this -- but I too have strayed on occasion from carpenter's glue :wave: I've found that tacky glue holds just about anything together...my policy is that if it works, use it :wave: If you're nervous, try it on some scrap wood...generally tacky glue sets up faster than Elmer's so you may be pleasantly surprised.

I, and I believe Nutti, always uses Aileens Tacky glue to put our houses together. One of the reasons I used it is because Tom of Earth & Tree listed Tacky glue as his No. 1 choice in putting the plywood shell together.

I have no idea what is in wood glue, or any glue for that matter lol. I just know that it is really strong once it dries, but does take awhile to dry.

Thanks for the tacky glue tip....Hoping to crack open my Orchid either tonight or tomorrow and may give tacky a try....50cents a bottle as opposed to $2 something for the wood glue I hope it works just as well lol

I'm cheap, what can I say :wave:

I am using it on my Garfield. Seems to be working well. I was using wood glue but I like this stuff better because it gets sticky faster and so things don't slide as much.

PS: Amy I was wondering what happened to you. I hadn't seen you for awhile I just realized that you changed your avitar no more Shrek. LOL

PS: Amy I was wondering what happened to you. I hadn't seen you for awhile I just realized that you changed your avitar no more Shrek. LOL

:wave: I'm still lurking.....finally got around to changing my avatar, no more Shrek even though I did like him lol

I've been shingling my life away, but, its paid off cause I've got 1 more line to do and I am D-O-N-E!!!!!!!!! *happy dance* :yahoo:

Tacky glue is dehydrated white glue, the more water is removed the thicker and tackier it gets. White glue is polyvinyl acetate, AKA PVA, glue. Yellow carpenter's glue is resin based, overall it's a lot stronger. But then again how strong does it have to be? The new 'bond' glues form a bond in 30 minutes, so they're my choice. Noel Thomas says he uses Elmer's White glue to build houses (his start at 30 K) but pro carpenter's like yellow glue. I figure I can find something else to work on for 30 minutes.

I have used Aileens Tacky glue on a lot of houses. I just like using the wood glue more now because it works better with the paperclay :wave: I get too many cracks when I use Aileens Tacky glue. I was told it is because it is water based and Probond & titebond wood glue is resin based which means there is not as much shrinkage. :wave:

Thanks, Doogster for the breakdown of the different glues. That is good to know. :wave:

Thanks, Minis on the Edge for your tips re: glues and paperclay. I'm working up to experimenting with paperclay, and this info. will be very useful! :wave:

Guess I'm going to try the TACKY GLUE......never though about using it with wood. I LOVE GORILLA glue...but you buy a bottle and only REALLY get to use a half or so before dumping the rest that has clogged or hardened....Anyone got a good way to get more mileage out of it?????

Banana for the GORILLA! :wave:

Donna

Amy....any plans for the PIERCE yet???????

Not yet!! Depends on if my mom actually gives it to me or keeps it for herself :dry:

IF, I do actually get it, it will be awhile before I get to it. I got 4 other houses in boxes waiting patiently for me.

But I do see it decorated as a mammouth christmas house for some reason......he he he :wave:

Thanks again Donna! I do appericate it!! :wave:

Guess I'm going to try the TACKY GLUE......never though about using it with wood. I LOVE GORILLA glue...but you buy a bottle and only REALLY get to use a half or so before dumping the rest that has clogged or hardened....Anyone got a good way to get more mileage out of it?????

Banana for the GORILLA! :)

Donna

Now with Gorilla Glue you're talking a whole different animal, so to speak. Gorilla Glue is polyurethane glue. I like Elmer's since it's exactly the same and half the price. And it tastes better. This, in my book, is essential for any foundation. I like to glue the whole shebang-a-bang together with bond yellow glue, I like Weldbond Titebond, then re-inforce the whole deal with polyurethane glue. While I'm sure it has i';s merits I'd only use PVA to glue shingles.