Hurricane Matthew

Thanks Kathie.  I think the worst of the storm surge was supposed to hit late last night or early this morning so I don't have a clue how she's doing.  No doubt the power is out and it will probably be some time before I know anything.  With the number of critters at her place, she wouldn't dream of leaving them.  On the lighter side, if she had to choose between the fur babies and her husband, the husband would lose.

I hope your cousin is doing okay.  Gov. Nickey Haley stated in a news conference that even after the rain stopped here, the residents wouldn't be allowed back until the area had been checked out and declared safe.  I would imagine the same goes for Florida.  You family is in my thoughts and prayers.

• Like 1

Although the storm was not too bad in Vero Beach, power is still out and probably will be for a few more days.  The power there is owned by a small regional power plant and not FPL. I am trying to recall what is in the fridge besides water and beer. I think there are a few sticks of butter, some cheese and condiments like ketchup, mayo and dressings.  The freezer might have some veggies and a bottle of vodka in it. Thankfully, there is no meat or any of my son's fishing bait in the freezer. As soon as I get word that there is power I will head up there to throw everything out. 

I have solar panels on the roof for hot water. Pre-storm I asked a neighbor to turn off the water main just in case the panels were damaged. So I still won't know if they are ok until I get up there. Frankly they are a pain in the neck, the valves constantly corrode from the salt air. I almost wish they did blow away.

• Like 1

It's the dealing with the storm damage that's such a PIA after the storm, even if it's "just" a tropical storm.  The last time we were in a storm that knocked out our power our little gas generator paid for itself in saving the fridge full of groceries!

• Like 1

As of this message, my little sister is okay and they have power.  Of course her yard looks like a small lake but that's typical for the area.  Snakes could be a problem though.

Years ago, we had a big ice storm and I lost power for 6-7 days.  I purchased a gas generator and other than minor outages, I haven't had to use it for days on end.  I'll never be without power like that again.  I lost everything in my refrigerator and freezer.  The dollar amount turned out to be the same as the insurance deductible so I couldn't claim it.  Oh well, such is life.

• Like 1

The eastern part of NC is still dealing with Matthew with the rivers reaching peak and flooding. Still quite a few people there without power and some unaccounted for, and they're still calling for evacuations. Thankfully I don't live in those areas, but my thoughts and prayers are definitely with them. One good thing about living on a mountain, even the very small mountain that I live on--it's hard to flood it...