Siding

Dick61045

I'm pretty new at this game but have been enjoying it alot. I have never applied clapboard siding before and just need to know if you apply it to the walls and paint them prior to assembling the house? Seems like it would be a pretty big task to try it after the house was constructed. :down:

I'm not sure what everyone else does but I always have my house built and all the trim on. If you are using the sheets, I'm not sure what you would do but I do them individually. If you would like to see pictures of the dollhouse I have just sided, take a look in My Blog under The Van Buren. You will probably have to scroll down a bit to get to the siding pictures. Maybe it might help you.

clapboard siding before and just need to know if you apply it to the walls and paint them prior to assembling the house?

The Westville was the first house I ever sided and the only problem I had siding it after construction, which I know better now, was to apply trim after siding (it doesn't always fit, being as how it adds to the thickness). Siding covers a multitude of sins that can occur during building, and there's nothing like assembling your walls & things don't line up/ match up (we will NOT discuss how I found this out...). It helps to draw parallel lines in the exterior walls before assembly to have a guide for where your siding will go, and if, when you do your dry-fit your lines all match up perfectly, then go for it! Some of us decorate before assembly, some during, some after it's built, and some (like me) do a combination of techniques.

I put my siding on after I had the shell built. I didn't prime the outside of the shell for the laurel part of my house. The primrose I did. Some of the siding I painted before I put on, some I painted after I applied. The latter looks better IMO. I used upholstrey tack strip (1/2" chipboard strips). It takes paint a little differently than wood.

I put the siding in strips onto the Pierce I'm working on after the shell was built and the exterior window trim was on. You can see the results in my album on the Pierce. Some people put corner strips on before the siding and it looks great ...but I beveled the edges on the strips on corners and I think it looks pretty good. I've also heard someone say they traced the outside edges of the exterior window and door trim onto the built shell exterior walls and then cut the siding strips to go right to that line, which I thought was a great idea that I will do next time.

Wendy your Van Buren is Georgous!!!! I so love that staircase.

I agree. I was looking at the blog the other day. I discovered that the dollhouse I passed up a couple of weeks ago at my local thrift store was a Van Buren. I wanted it, but didn't think I had the room for it. Oh, well I can enjoy yours.

I just fnished siding my Willow and I did it as the directions said and it worked quite well. I had the windows and casing in and the shutter supports then once the siding was on, I finished up with the addtnl window trim and shutters, making them sorta "pop" out from the siding, just like on a real house. (The maddness!!)

I would suggest getting your windows and trim in, then, if you have shutters on your house put them on after you do siding. Basically, just sit back and look at the house and the trim that goes on the outside and anything that you don't want stuck 'even' with the siding, wait and put it on once the siding is up.

I would do it again this way if I ever do siding again.

And I did paint it after it was up.......otherwise it will warp.

Good luck!!

• 2 weeks later...

the house i am building right now is the first time ive used siding. and i did the front of the houses siding before i glued it all together because i was afraid the front would be the hardest. its really a matter of trial and error and what works best for you :D

Holly, what a shame you passed it up. I'd love to get my hands on another one and do it up as the directions say. I keep watching on ebay just in case. But you're right, it's quite a large dollhouse so you may need plenty of room.