selling DeAgositi Japanese Rakuten dollhouse kit

aggiemae

Thread got pretty busy now that the kits are sold! I am happy that someone here bought it, even if Kathie lives about as far from Oregon as possible and in a town that DHL doesn't serve...  I was going to ask a lot more on eBay because deep down I wanted to keep it. 

Aggiemae, I will completely understand if you decide to keep it. If it was mine, I wouldn't be able to bear to part with it. Take your time and think about it, because I don't want you to regret it when it's gone. I can still build a Japanese roombox, that's what I decided I'd do if my husband thought it was too much. I just don't want you to give up something that means so much to you.

5 hours ago, Pavluv Pane said:

Aggiemae, did you make an album with pics from your completed house? I'd love to see what you did with it.

Keep us posted Kathi!

Up until a few years ago I build custom dollhouses for a living plus I had this one to build just as I imagined it so I didn't take any pictures.  My only regret is that smaller scale rice lights were not available when I did the build. I could have done so much more if I had smaller scale, softer lighting. I did the basic house and added extra touches to the bath and kitchen.

4 hours ago, kathi17 said:

Wow, I can see that I am going to have to mount my Ryokan on plywood and landscape it with Japanese gardens and an Onsen when I get it built!

The one I built was displayed on a sofa table so it could be viewed from all sides. Someone else was commissioned to do the surrounding gardens. the pics were sent to me on my phone (3-4 phones ago) but I will mail the buyer to see if I can get photos to post.

• Like 1

I would love to see them! Aggiemae, seriously, don't sell that house if you have any misgivings about it. Like I said, I can do some roomboxes, and I've also always wanted to do a primitive house. I didn't even know it existed until you posted it, and I've lived without it this long, so I'm sure I can live without it now.

That is a very rare house, and once it's gone, you can't replace it, so take your time and make sure you really want to sell it.

• Like 1

I am the proud owner of two Noel Thomas houses, a Helena Rubenstein Dutch babyhouse and many  special furniture pieces including some that once belonged to  Narcissia Thorne, Helen'Rubenstein and Ann Rice...so i have more than my share of special things. I am thrilled to sell this to someone here. Honest.

• Like 1

I am so happy and excited. This morning I got a pm from Aggiemae, and I'm really going to get the Ryokan!!!

The shipping costs were going to be so high, that I was really afraid I wasn't going to get it, but UPS helped Aggiemae find a way to ship it for a reasonable amount.

I was so sure I wouldn't be getting it, that I had pretty much stopped looking at ideas for decorating it. I must have really wanted it, because I kept getting a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach every time I saw anything Japanese, and when I got her pm this morning, my heart leapt with joy. I think I must have wanted this as much as Nuttiewebgal wanted her Queen Anne.

I feel kind of stupid getting so excited about a dollhouse, but it's going to be a wonderful project!

You have made me really happy! I can't wait to start on it, and will post my progress in my album here, and on my blog! Now I can go back to reading Peggy's blog. I think her blog will be a great help, because I will have help with any of the more difficult parts!

6 hours ago, kathi17 said:

...I feel kind of stupid getting so excited about a dollhouse, but it's going to be a wonderful project!

Huh?  You belong to a group of people who are all easily excited at the prospect of a new dollhouse to play with/ build/ decorate.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Huh?  You belong to a group of people who are all easily excited at the prospect of a new dollhouse to play with/ build/ decorate.

Somehow it seems very wrong to get so excited about something for myself though. I guess I've been conditioned to think that I should only be happy for other people. I need to get over that feeling. :-)

7 hours ago, kathi17 said:

reading Peggy's blog. I think her blog will be a great help, because I will have help with any of the more difficult parts!

The kits where only sold in Japan and italy, so the instructions with your  kit are in Japanese. I managed but i wish Peggy's had a blog with English translations for every sub kit available when I was building it!

3 minutes ago, aggiemae said:

The kits where only sold in Japan and italy, so the instructions with your  kit are in Japanese. I managed but i wish Peggy's had a blog with English translations for every sub kit available when I was building it!

Japanese will be very challenging! It's a good thing Peggy made such a wonderful bog!!!

I could manage to figure out Italian, heck, I can even read Russian as long as it is in cyrillics, but Japanese is a whole different kind of language! I'll manage though, her blog is very good!

• Like 2

Thanks Cynthia. :-)

UPS has it now, so it won't be long before I get it!

I'm trying to get an HOM kit I started finished, so I won't have any unfinished kits sitting there when I get the house. Once that is finished, I may try making some little bento boxes. I also want to play with tiny origami paper kimonos, to see if they would look convincing as miniature kimonos.

Once the house gets here, I expect I won't be working on other miniatures for quite a long time. It's going to be so much fun to build it and make all those interesting things that go inside!

I'm super excited for you! You can imagine how it was for me when the monthly package arrived with the installments.  I got so excited ! I catalogued each one as it arrived and made two gigantic books (there is a blog post about the books) with the instructions.  Which means if at any time you get stuck, let me know.  I can always scan up a page or two and send them to you.  If you can figure out the Italian, you're all set! 

I made my blog specifically for anyone who wanted help in building this house so you are giving me huge satisfaction.  It's like passing on or paying forward.  Blogs like mine and pages like this are what's great because we all just share our knowledge and enthusiasm and passion!  

I'm so excited for you Kathi!!

• Like 2

Thank you so much Peggy!

I saw the part about making the Notebooks. We have a bunch of empty loose leaf binders, so I am definitely going to do the same thing before I even start building. I'll get some sheet protectors when we go off the island this weekend. I sure hope the dreaded Walmart has them, otherwise we will have to go all the way to Bangor, and it's tournament time, so it will be crowded!

If it wasn't for your blog, I really don't think I would even have attempted this, but I know you are just an email away, so I won't be alone!

It's so funny that there are so few of these houses on the internet. The only other ones I have seen are the one by the man named Bob Kroonenberg, and the one on that Japanese site with the action figures. Both are on your Pinterest or blog, and are also the only ones that show up on any of the searches I've done. A lot of people must like the house, judging from how many people have pinned yours.

All my origami paper, along with some Japanese scrapbook paper were up in the building where we have our shop in the summer, so I brought it home today, but I forgot to bring home the container that has all my mulberry and other handmade papers. I'll get those tomorrow. Hopefully, I will have a lot of interesting papers to use for different things.

Mine is going to be a turn of the century Ryokan, so I won't be using the TV's and I probably won't use that wooden "stuffed" chair, but I think I'll do the phone booth, because that telephone could have been around back in those days.

I probably will also mount it onto a good sized piece of plywood, because I want to make mine into a hot spring ryokan, and do lots of landscaping, with an outdoor bath!

This is going to be so much fun!

On 2/18/2016, 6:00:09, kathi17 said:

. I also want to play with tiny origami paper kimonos, to see if they would look convincing as miniature kimonos.

The house has several hutches. I just used folded Japanese print paper for filling the shelves and plain tissue for all the folded linens and towels. I used a pattern to make kimonos out of dainty handkerchiefs. I made two of them for or the house. I'll send the instructions to you when I find them... It might be a while.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pavluv Pane said:

hey Kathi, did the house get there ??? If you start a new thread for the house build, be sure to link it here too!!

Not yet, it's coming from all the way on the Pacific coast, so it is on a long trip!

I'm not sure what day it's getting here, but I'm getting ready for it. I'm all the way up to July 2014 on your blog. :-D

I was looking at that Japanese Homes and their Surroundings book, and I noticed that most of the rooms used regular sticks instead of the notched dowel thing, the same way as you did in your house. They did the bamboo shades the same way too.

I'm so glad to have so much to read while I'm waiting!

Yeah, when I get it, I'll start  a new thread and link to it from here. I'll also start a blog and link to your blog and to the thread on here.