Lighting Effects: Sunlight Through A Wimdow

I am wondering if anyone has done a sunlight effect in a room box. I've been researching online and just can't seem to come up with the correct sequence of words on Google to find what I need.

The idea is that the back wall of the room box will be a false wall with a couple windows in it. I'd like to create the effect of sunlight coming through the windows. Has anyone seen or done this? Any tips or techniques would be greatly appreciated. Also, if I find any useful information on my own I'll post updates on this thread.

Thanks everyone!

You could try using 'Daylight' LED strip Jodi.......in the UK we can get them in wired strips of 3 and 6. The neat thing with LED is it runs cool and you can alter the colour balance.......ie. Warmer.......by using a spot of Amber glass paint.

Jodi, most of the Thorne rooms are lit this way.  The old room boxes had an incandescent light bulb wired in at the back, above whatever opening (door or window).  You would want to make a metal housing for it to protect the box and false wall from the heat of the bulb.

I used a utility light from Walmart to add outside light to a room box.  It's the kind where touching two metal tabs with a finger switches it on and off. Lift the roof, slide finger inside. Easy. See it here. The light is a bit white for sunshine. I'd like to give it a spot of amber paint as Mike mentions above, but the current owner likes it the way it is.

I wouldn't even think of using an incandescent light bulb in any of my builds after finding the scorch marks when I was working on the qulit shop room box. The metal is not a good insulator. It heats up and will scorch as much as the light bulb itself. See it here.

Wow! Thank you all for the brilliant suggestions! I had never thought of adding amber glass paint! I just happen to have some of the warm colored LED's left over from my Starbucks!

Kathie - I am headed over, coffee in hand, to read your entire blog now!

So Excited!

:oD

That was basically what I remember reading about making and lighting a roombox from a publication copywrited some time in the 1980s, so I expect the scorching wasn't seen as  problem; I haven't tried that because scorching was my concern.  I wonder if you painted the back side of the false wall and the upper part of the back wall amber or yellow ochre, if that would warm the light any?

I wonder if you painted the back side of the false wall and the upper part of the back wall amber or yellow ochre, if that would warm the light any?

Maybe. Or the bluish cast to the light would turn the wall greenish? Guess it would take some experimentation.

Maybe. Or the bluish cast to the light would turn the wall greenish? Guess it would take some experimentation.

LEDs have a bluish cast?  In that case maybe the suggestion of a tree (or trees) and the greenish cast could be from the sunlight filtered through leaves?

LEDs have a bluish cast?  In that case maybe the suggestion of a tree (or trees) and the greenish cast could be from the sunlight filtered through leaves? 

Some LEDs emit a cool (bluish) light that is similar to indoor fluorescent light. Others emit a warmer light that is more like natural sun light or candle light. If both are used in the same build, it is quite apparent. But, as Mike said, a bit of glass paint can alter the effect.