Creating a Battle Plan for the Orchid

So I am about to embark on my first kit build -- the Orchid.

I have a bit of an OCD tendency (which probably explains my miniature obsessions). I like to create what I call "battle plans" before doing a project -- essentially, writing a step-by-step list.

My intention is to stucco the outside of the house, as I think siding would make me insane on my first try. However, I would also like to wallpaper it before assembly so that I have more control over the bits.

Because of the double-hung windows, I've seen recommendations that they be installed before the stucco goes on.

Does this seem like the best battle plan for going about the first steps?

1. Dry fitting of the house 

2. Ceiling paper

3. Wallpaper

4. Flooring

5. Painting windows and doors

6. Installing windows and doors

7. Gluing house

8. Applying stucco and painting exterior

Thanks for any input!

Unless you're planning to stucco over the window frames, I would attach them afterward. Hold the window frame up to the hole and draw a pencil line to indicate where it will be, then cover the surface where it will be with masking tape before you do your stucco. That will leave a flat edge to affix it to. Remove the masking tape before painting, that way there will be paint where the window trim is glued on so it won't be really obvious if your stucco doesn't reach quite to the trim.

There are some pics of how I did this here: http://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=3545

Some people do like to do ceiling paper, wallpaper, and flooring before the house is assembled, but for me it's easier to assemble the house first. I actually did it the way you've laid out on my first house -- the Orchid -- and ran into issues that made me realize I don't like doing it that way (stuff like obvious seams where the walls meet, accidentally getting glue on the already-glued-on ceiling paper, flooring interfering with the partition walls, etc.) Also I like to paint first, and then do wallpaper, and then put on the windows last to lower the chances of getting paint on my interior walls or windows.

My order would be more like this:

1) Dry fit

2) Make templates for the wallpaper etc. to refer to later, for any pieces that will be hard to cut after the house is assembled (most helpful on the second floor because of all the angles)

3) Glue house

4) Assemble and glue in dormers, gable, and bay window. You might want to wallpaper these before gluing in because of the funky angles. If yes, tape wax paper over the dormer and gable window openings to protect the wallpaper from stucco & paint.

5) Stucco house

6) Paint house

7) Paint exterior window trim and glue on (you can smooth wood filler over the seam and then paint with trim color for a nice smooth edge)

8) Wallpaper, etc. inside

9) Glue window acetate to the inside walls and glue interior window trim over them

And of course you'll need to get the porch and door in there sometime. :) Probably after stucco and painting, but keep them in mind in case you need to mask over any areas to prevent stucco interfering with assembly later.

Of course, you should do whatever seems like the best way to you, there's no "right" way to do this. But that's my $0.02.

I do a mix of painting and papering, some before, some after construction. I go by the difficulty of reaching an area to make that decision.

I agree with Fov on the window and stucco. I've used a lot of stucco treatment and always done it that way.

I do use sketch pads and collect RL pictures to aid in my designs and plans as well as the execution thereof.

But remember, it needs to be what works for you. We are all different and do things in different ways that all come out the same in the end. Alot of it is trial and error.

Most of all, remember miniatures are about capturing the illusion. It's all smoke and mirrors!