Beacon Hill or Westville, or something else?

Cathy C

I really want to build a beautiful Beacon Hill, but I've only built one slot/tab dollhouse (Orchid). So, I'm considering building the Westville first so I gain experience with slot/tab, GL stairs and siding. Does this sound like a good idea? Any thoughts or suggestions would be sincerely appreciated.

Build the Westville if it's something you really want to do, but you've said you really want a Beacon Hill. Why not build it? You've built and Orchid so you have experience with tab/slot construction. Many people have chosen the BH as their first builds! Just take your time and remember you can go at whatever pace works for you. There are separate BH threads on this forum, and you'll find lots of support for the inevitable questions. :D

• Like 1

If you love the Beacon Hill and it speaks to you, and the Westville doesn't call your name and immediately tell you all it wants you to do with it, do NOT build a Westville, go immediately and build the Beacon Hill that speaks to your heart.  If it takes you a long time, that's OK; if you make mistakes, they can be fixed or covered up (I have built a couple of kits and I still make mistakes, and the world has not yet come to an end).  The important thing is that you will have the most success and joy building the kit of your desire.

Always go with your heart.  I fell in love with the Pierce as a dollhouse newbie and bought that kit first, then decided I'd best try building a smaller house first to get the feel for it and built an Orchid.  By the time I'd finished it and discovered the wonderful folks here at GL, I was more than ready to build my Pierce.  I'd ordered five more kits by the time I finished it and started a Lily right away so I'd say that the little Orchid was more than enough experience to be ready to take on a big house.  As the others have mentioned, there are lots of threads about the BH here where you can find great tips and we're always willing to answer questions.   The BH is a pretty straightforward house to build so I think you'll be fine.

Since the Beacon Hill is the house I really want to build, I'm going to order it! I'm sure I'll have challenges, but that's okay with me. I will take my time and enjoy the process. And I'm sure I'll be utilizing the knowledge and experience of the people here to help me along the way.

Thank you all for your input. I really appreciate it!