Pierce Roof Shingles

Sable

The only time I really go OCD is when I'm shingling roofs. I like to line all my shingles up on painters tape and apply them one whole row at once. I'm finding that the Pierce shingles that came with the kit vary in size so they are not lining up because some of the shingles are a tad narrower than others. Do I need to sort them all and cut the narrower pieces for the ends?

All the tiles I've ever used are exactly 3/4" x 1 1/2". I figured it out after sorting them all. There are about 20 or so tiles that are narrower by about 2/16". Don't know if it was a dye cut issue or if they are suppose to be for cutting the 1/2 end pieces. Maybe the instructions mention this. Going to have to start reading instructions.

The shingles I have gotten have been in die cut sheets and the narrower shingles are the ones on the outer edges of the sheets, so they're easier to separate out and use where you need to cut the shingle to fit an angled area such as a dormer or gable or tower roof, or at the end of an alternating row.

I'm fairly OCD when it comes to shingles too, but my recent "experience" with the Farmhouse has pretty much cured me of it, I think. I TRY lining them all up perfectly, but they curl up on me, or scoot down when I'm not looking and dry rather wonkily. All of my chastising and threats have done no good. In the interest of my sanity, I'm subscribing wholeheartedly to Debora's explanation above.

I got the look I wanted. Sorted out all the inconsistent pieces to have the proper lineup and spacing. Don't understand how you could get this consitant look with odd shaped sizes. I cut the narrower pieces for the ends, as holly suggested.

I'm fairly OCD when it comes to shingles too, but my recent "experience" with the Farmhouse has pretty much cured me of it, I think. I TRY lining them all up perfectly, but they curl up on me, or scoot down when I'm not looking and dry rather wonkily. All of my chastising and threats have done no good. In the interest of my sanity, I'm subscribing wholeheartedly to Debora's explanation above.

It's been my experience that water based glue will curl the tiles, I use Quick Grip for my roof. Since I place them all on painters tape, I'll glue the entire row on at one time leaving the tape attached to allow some setting time. This way they don't move or slide.