Room box

Guest Sculptor

Wonder if you could go to a print shop and have whatever scene you like from a photo, copied onto vellum or a transparency for overhead projectors and accomplish what you desire?

I know a couple folks have top lit a really thin "box" with a scene on the back wall, for outside their doors or windows. Using a small bulb, it appeared as sunshine. Bulbs can be toned down with glass paint to produce the effect of color that you want.

Guest Sculptor

Wonder if you could go to a print shop and have whatever scene you like from a photo, copied onto vellum or a transparency for overhead projectors and accomplish what you desire?

I know a couple folks have top lit a really thin "box" with a scene on the back wall, for outside their doors or windows. Using a small bulb, it appeared as sunshine. Bulbs can be toned down with glass paint to produce the effect of color that you want.

That's exactly what I had in mind to seek out -which was how searching found the new to me term of "backlit signs," the image I planned to mount in a little box or holder a little way back from the window, with a small bulb behind that.

Ok I found the answers:

Duratrans (short for Durable Transparency) or Backlit Transparencies are images and graphics printed on to a transparent material designed to be lit from behind, adding real depth and life to the image.

They make outstanding displays in any environment and can often be seen in diverse areas from fast food restaurants to corporate reception areas, trade exhibitions and even television and movie sets.

Outstanding, true continuous tone photographic reproduction using our Lambda Colour Printer ensures your images and graphics are faithfully reproduced with superb sharpness, colour saturation and an overall image quality unobtainable by any other process.

Your Backlit Transparencies or Duratrans can be produced from digital files, transparencies, colour or black & white negatives and our expertise ensures the highest quality backlit graphics and displays available.

I found a site that gives you the price based on size and number of copies, I plugged in 5x7 and 8x10 just to see, the 5x7 was $20.17 and the 8x10 was $25

A little clever editing could maybe go larger and include several miniature images on one sheet which someone can simply cut out each from.

We accept the following file formats:

TIFF, PDF, EPS, JPEG, InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop files.

The ideal resolution of your file is 300 dpi at full print size. The minimum resolution we recommend is 150 dpi at the final print size. If your file size is larger than 200 MB, please open the file in PhotoShop, flatten all the layers, delete all channels, confirm that it is 8 bit RGB, confirm that the resolution is not higher than 300 dpi, and finally, save it as a maximum quality JPEG (quality 12). A maximum quality JPEG will not degrade the image quality

http://www.backlitprint.com/

How long will Backlitdisplay.com prints last?

We only use the highest quality materials. The inks that we use last up to 75+ years indoors and under glass. Print stability will vary according to display conditions, light intensity, humidity, and atmospheric conditions. For maximum print life, display all prints under glass and use UV protecting lamination.

Guest Sculptor

I somehow bounced back onto New England Miniature's site yesterday and decided to order a few items, they have a lot of really nice furniture and other stuff. I really liked the porcellain sink a lot so for future possibilities I bought one of those

Porcelain sink kit AN441

I also liked this table so I bought one of these

Mahogany side table AN453

And in the dead space room in my room box I really wanted a very fancy radiator under the window but the ones I liked were too tall, then I happened to find this SHORT height radiator by Heidi Ott that I think will work so I ordered one

Small radiator ON118

Guest Sculptor

Randall, that's our very own Grazhina, and she carries a lot of gorgeous and unique items, including the Pheonix metal kits from the UK.

Yeah? cool! there's lots of nice stuff there, and I do like metal too. The furniture from Aztec platinum, looks real nice, I' really like that Parlor Sofa and lion leg side table.

I rec'd most of what I ordered last week all at once today in the mail LOL, there must have been 8 packages and envelopes, the post office had to put them in 2 shopping bags for me, I guess with the holidauy weekend they piled up Fri and Sat and this morning.

Now I have the wallpaper I need to finish the last wall, the little brackets for the stairs to finish those, and I have the lamp sockets and bulbs so I can install and wire those to the transformer which also came, and the 2 carpets and curtains also came today, so I think I have enough now to finish my roombox but I'm going to be busy this week, next weekend I have a bunch of stuff to pack and ship out, and if this client who contacted me contracts with me this week for her custom model I'll need to start on that on the weekend too.

Hopefully I can get 15 minutes in here and there this week on it, and cut some pieces of basswood I need for the cornice and stair opening surround too.