Help! Need to Install my Vinyl Flooring!

Rowan555

I have the Houseworks White Square Molded Vinyl Flooring, which says you should glue it down with carpet tape or silicone cement. Of course I have NEITHER. It's for a small bathroom area. Would tacky glue or something similar work instead? I haven't had time to work on my Orchid in two weeks and I am finally back at work again. I didn't intend to use the vinyl on this house, but I think it needs it. Thanks!

Susan

Tacky glue, double-sided tape, they're all good!

I'm wondering though, can you pull up the tiles, say after awhile you change your mind . . . do they come up easy enough?

While I think that tacky glue would be safe, if you are using any adhesive other than what Houseworks recommends, then I would test the adhesive on a scrap of vinyl first. Tacky glue is pretty benign stuff, but some adhesives can melt vinyl.

Jeri

Tacky glue should be fine -- it's just a pva and isn't known to damage vinyl. It is very permanent, tho', so make sure you'll not want to change the look later on -- it would be real work to remove in the future.

What about rubber cement? Try some on a scrap of your tile. If you only put the rubber cement on one surface (either the floor OR the tile, not both) it ought to be removable at a future time, or you could make a template of your floor to be tiled, tile that and lay it in with doublesided tape.

To make a template take a piece of newspaper a bit larger than the floor area and carefully crease it along the floor edges and use it for a pattern to cut your template from lightweight acid-free card stock and tile that.