Raccoon and White Bunny

Steve Panner

I would LOVE to see that! Our urban raccoons are not so urban and much nicer than the raccoons in Seattle. In Seattle, they form packs and attack anything that moves, apparently. I've heard of them coming into yards and attacking cats, small dogs, and people. Mine, on the other hand, just ignored the stray cat that wandered in for 6 months, even when he sat in the middle of them all.

Steve, your miniatures are incredibly realistic and amazing! Your work is beautiful. I didn't see any items for sale in Ebay currently. Do you ever make any of the bully breed dogs i.e., American Staffordshire Terrier, American Bulldog or Pit Bulls? Those are the ones I rescue so that's why I'm curious if you've ever created these in miniature?

Thank you again Holly!

Gloria you are too kind, thank you! In Europe you only get to see wildlife at the ZOO, I grew up on a farm, in a undeveloped country, yet I rarely saw a rabbit or a deer, only once I think I saw a fox. Other animals were either extinct or so few that you only knew they existed but no one saw them. Not to mention that in the city I live now I've met people that never saw a live chicken, or people that could not tell if it's a duck or a goose when they saw one.

Kelly, I tried finding your pictures but could not get any results from photobucket. Maybe it's an error or they are not available to my location, I don't know, I'll try again later.

The PBS documentary is available online here: http://video.pbs.org/video/2192070266/ (of course I can't view that video either, because of stupid licensing that make it unavailable in my region)

Elizabeth, thank you! I've noticed your work on eBay too and you sure are on the right path. The sheepdog is my personal favorite.

Thank you too Stacey, I'm happy you like them!

Thank you Susan! I only work on my free time on minis, so I only offer one or two items a week, that's why currently there are no minis for sale. I rarely do dogs, mainly because they are large, so they need more work than cats and shipping is more expensive, but the demand for them is not that high. I guess it's because there's so much variety in dog breeds while cats are more similar.

I had my mind on making an English bulldog but it might be a while before it becomes reality.

Thank you all again for all the replies!

• Like 1

I was finally able to see it on the PBS channel. It's called Raccoon Nation. Those little fellers are sooooo cute.

Once I was watching a CSI episode with my mom and aunt when I was back in Minnesota. Gil Grissom asks if so and so knew raccoons had opposable thumbs. So I spoke up and said "I do!". My mom wanted to know how I knew and I told her anyone who fed a raccoon half a sandwich knew that, because the little critters used those opposable thumbs to get the rest of the sandwich!

I won't hijack your thread further, Steve. I know this is about the little raccoon you made and not about my little furkids.

Don't worry Kelly, I really appreciate the info and a matter of fact I enjoy that my threads are more about general animal discussions and suggestions than the actual sale of the item.

I never enjoyed the mercantile part of the hobby, but it's necessary, it's the only way I can justify the time I invest in this little critters. But, even if it can't be avoided, I'm glad it's not the focus of the talk here.

• Like 1

Steve, you make me very glad I was as old as I was when I started in this hobby. Briefly I sold some of my dolls and a couple of houses, but never would I do it for a living (which is why I now make everything, living on a pension...); the pressure of having to sell takes the joy of creating out of it, and I stopped making doll commissions (although those of you who actually like my little people give me the incentive to make more as I build more houses).