My First Dollhouse

jennybean

I did not build this house, but I am completing it! I purchased this house off of Craigslist for $125.00. I believe it's a 1/12 scale.1377017_10153328637240055_505994002_n_zp

1374780_10153328670085055_1826406995_n_z

Does anyone know the maker? Model? Any information would be welcomed actually :blahblah1:

P.S. I'm sure I'll be back with a milion questions!

• Like 1

It looks like it might be a Dura-Craft San Franciscan,to me,Jenny,but there are 3 different models,I think-? The Dura-Craft company is no longer in business,but there are a lot of these still out there,judging by the members here who have one or the other model. Someone more knowledgable than me will come along and be able to tell you more very soon! Meanwhile,welcome to the fun! I am so glad you've joined us! You'll learn something new and fun just about every day here at the forum. Kat

• Like 1

Kat57 - I love you! Thank you.

When I tell you I know nothing about dollhouses, I mean it.

I'm so excited to learn more and of course get to know the community better!

I'm hoping I can get some really great ideas and tips on how finish this house so that it can be passed down from my daughter to her children, and so on some day!

Well,I'm still very new at this myself,Jenny,as in not having finished my first build yet-a much,much smaller and simpler Dura-Craft,The Ashley. But you are in the right spot to get all the help and answers you need,as well as encouragement and enabling in what is not just a fun hobby,but a luscious addiction! LOL (I have purchased 3 more small house kits just since I joined up in April!)You are starting out with a beautiful house and I am certain you will have a great time putting your own 'mark' on it! ^_^

Thank you, Kat! I'm afraid I've already got dollhouse on the brain! I just don't know where to start. Do I paint the walls first? Wall Paper? Flooring? I need to purchase furniture and I want to put real glass in the windows and and and...lol! Just thinking about it is overwhelming.

• Like 1

It's the Dura-Craft SF555; the first version was the SF550 and had stripwood radiating out from that oval window in the big gable. The SF558 was the MDF version. The SF555 was the first kit I ever built, and that tower roof is a b****' I'd invest or cobble together some ornamental fencing and make it a flat roof; but if your heart is set on a pitched roof I posted in your other entry how you can go about making yourself a pattern for a new roof. I won't tell you what I paid for my kit, but that was more than 23 years ago and Dura-Craft was still in business then. Also, I built it for and gave it to our eldest granddaughter, and apparently it no longer exists.

Ahem. You will notice that your topic header reads "FIRST dollhouse". and that I posted that the SF555 was the first dh I ever built. I will now warn you that you have stepped out onto a primrose path that can lead you into hour$ of delight and mini, mini houses.

• 4 months later...

Hi -- I'm new to the Forum and thought I would post about my first dollhouse. I bought a dollhouse on eBay years ago and decorated the interior with my daughter, but I don't count that one since I was simply a decorator; not an architect or builder!

My first "start-to-finish" dollhouse is a Santa's Workshop, made using Beachwood Ltd's The Victoria Cottage, purchased at a yard sale. I knew nothing about DH kits, but it got me started for very little money, and they threw in a bag of shingles! I got what I paid for, of course; the quality was not great (lots of sanding) and the directions weren't so good either, but I have always been a crafty person and made some changes as I went. I have a theatre background and built scale models of sets many years ago, so that has probably helped make me fearless!

I'm very happy with my completed Santa's Workshop -- decorating it was lots of fun. I was amazed by all of the free printables and online tutorials available, and the finished workshop incorporates many of those items. To any members who have contributed to this vast online library of DH knowledge, thank you! I'm happy to have found a community where I can interact with others folks who enjoy creating miniature houses and more!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...