To paint or not to paint.....

Stacey6163

I picked up a cute little cast iron stove for my kitchen. It was originally silver but most of that has worn off. Should I give it a custom paint job ( if so what kind of paint will work best?) leave it as is, or repaint it silver . Thanks in advance, Stacey. :)

I used to never use spray paint, because of the fumes and mess. But last year I started doing more of it, and now its my first choice for metal especially, I would recommend spray paint. Theres an outdoor textured spray paint that gives a "hammered' finish. That might be neat in a charcoal/black color. Cant think of the brand name but its one of the main ones, I bought mine at Ace. Artists use it when they want to make cookware, such as baking pans, look old and vintage.

• Like 1

The hammered finish is a neat idea, but being vintage,part of me wants to just let it be. I made a pair of kitchen cabinets from the Michael's hutches ( which the manager at our store said there would be no more) and the stove looks too small to go with them. So many decisions ....

Maybe you could put the stove on a raised hearth, so it looks taller?--like a 1/2" block of wood?...a lot of woodstoves for living rooms, etc. are raised, so why not the kitchen?!...If the item is an antique I probably wouldn't paint it--at least that is what they are always advising on the Antiques Roadshow, but otherwise just go with what strikes you!

Tappy