Template for flooring

peggyquade

As I am getting ready to think about doing the floors in my friend's Pierce and in this new big old dollhouse I just got, I know that a lot of you use a template for the floors and you glue the wood flooring strips to the template instead of right on the dollhouse floor. What do you use for the template? Tag board? Thin plywood? I appreciate your expertise! Thanks. Peggy

Hi Peggy -- I usually use mat board. It's sturdy but flexible and cheap!!! It also comes in handy for other projects which is good since it comes 40"x 32" sheets! I buy the imperfect sheets from my local framer -- they sell the imperfects at half price. But, you can use heavy card, thin wood (like basswood) and I've known folks who used fabric webbing. I'm not sure what tagboard is, but if it's thin enough you can use that, too. Cut a pattern from paper and tape it onto the surface you're using for the base and just cut it out. Be sure to get the measurements correct so your floor fits!

Hi Robin -- Exactly -- mat board is used for picture framing...haven't a clue what tagboard is! :) If you get some, do ask for imperfects -- like I said, my framer sells it at half price so I pay about $5 a sheet instead of $10.

I use skinny sticks to make the flooring and I think it would be a pain (to me) to have to huddle on the cold bare mini floor on my hands and knees glueing, spacing, sanding, staining....you get the picture!

I would rather do it sitting on my comfy couch watching tv and doing it that way. Then I can glue the whole thing down when I am done.

Actually I've glued the floors directly into the house, as well, but only when no wiring is under the flooring. I wire chandeliers thru the ceiling and attach the wires on the floor or wall above, so I don't want the flooring glued directly over the tapewire. I use either repositional spray glue or double-faced tape to hold it in. Usually use the tape 'cause I tend to spray myself in the face with spray cans :)

:) Excuse me for being ignorant but why can't you just put the floor directly into the house?? Can you do this or should you use a template?

Hi Irene,

Don't be silly that's not an ignorant question at all :D - When I used skinny sticks or popsicle sticks I've just glued them right to the floor and cut them to size as I went but I have also bought premade wooden flooring - really nice! but also a bit pricey at about $15 a sheet. They come in mahogany(I think.. or was it walnut?) and pine and I think oak.. not sure but they really make for a nice floor - and easy .. as long as you cut them right and don't mind the price. I think if I was putting in wall to wall carpeting in a room a template would help there also. I make a lot of mistakes - using a template just helps me reduce those a bit :D

-David

When I used skinny sticks or popsicle sticks I've just glued them right to the floor and cut them to size as I went -David

Hey David

The reason I ask isI am currently working on the Arthur finished wiring and am ready for the floor. I am planning on using skinny sticks. Does glueing the sticks right over the tape wire damage or have any effect on the current? I would prefer to just put them directly down in the house without a template because with my luck when I was finished it probably wouldn't fit :) I wouldn't be changing anything in the future as this is going to be a gift.

Hey David

The reason I ask isI am currently working on the Arthur finished wiring and am ready for the floor. I am planning on using skinny sticks. Does glueing the sticks right over the tape wire damage or have any effect on the current? I would prefer to just put them directly down in the house without a template because with my luck when I was finished it probably wouldn't fit :) I wouldn't be changing anything in the future as this is going to be a gift.

Hey Irene! It won't interfere with the current -- do cover the wires with tape, tho', just to keep any moisture from the glue out. I've used electrical tape and plain old masking tape with no problem. One other hint: Any brads, grommets or wiring that are in the run under the flooring should be given a coat of clear nail polish to give them extra protection.

Hey Irene! It won't interfere with the current -- do cover the wires with tape, tho', just to keep any moisture from the glue out. I've used electrical tape and plain old masking tape with no problem. One other hint: Any brads, grommets or wiring that are in the run under the flooring should be given a coat of clear nail polish to give them extra protection.

Thanks for the tip Charlene, I will definately use the nail polish. Visiting my daughter till tomorrow and can't wait to get home and try the flooring :)

One other hint: Any brads, grommets or wiring that are in the run under the flooring should be given a coat of clear nail polish to give them extra protection.

Hey, Charlene, that's a good idea. I'll have to remember that one.

Thanks for all your great ideas, folks! I am always appreciative of the diversity of our group! Many different ideas and experiences.

I call it tag board...I buy it at Fred Meyer here is Seattle...it's very thin poster board...I'm sure it's very much like mat board. I just didn't know if the individual strips of hardwood would tend to not lay flat if I glued them to the mat board. I will try it and, just to make sure, I'll weigh it down with something heavy when I am done for the night.

I think I've said it before and I'm saying it again: I have tremendous respect for all you wallpaperers out there! I didn't like the way the tape wire was showing on the walls of my Linfield so I took brown paper and made templates of the walls. That is said so easily but, for me, all thumbs who can't draw a straight line, it took me several hours and lots of sweat but I did finally get the paper templates to match the walls. All I could think to myself is that, when I build my Pierce, I am going to make paper templates of the walls before I put it together. I will struggle with having to do the templates for my old wooden dollhouse, as it's already built, but man, do I respect the fantastic wallpapering jobs I see in your galleries! Congrats to all of you, keep up the good work!