the ORCHID

HyacinthB

I have finally decided how and why to decorate the Orchid. Can you see why I chose this for the Orchid? VERY CLOSE look-a-likes. Plus being a favorite book and series to watch over and over.

Rose Cottage in Avonlea (from the series) in Prince Edward Island. These stories, along with Anne of Green Gables are books and stories from Lucy Maud Montgomery.

Rose-Cottage-02.jpg

• Like 1

Well, I don't know about the shingles. I take this over to Blaine in 4-H when I return. I am STUCK in bad weather. I told him he could do what he wanted.

I plan on painting it blue for this lady I know, the cottage is awfully pale. Just similiar, won't do it EXACTLY. Time will tell, won't it?

I'll let you all know. I have so much time to wait until I even get started. I go pick up the San Francisco before Easter.

look at my San Francisco post on Dura Craft homes. I found a gorgeous hotel in New Orleans that is so similiar to it. It's called the Corn Stalk.

Ideas from all of you IS appreciated.

The first house I built with the Building Team was the Arthur and I shingled the second floor like your Orchid (different color scheme, though; I painted the siding shingles an eggplant color and the lower walls were a sort of golden yellow.

• 2 weeks later...

I am building The Orchild for a term project in my college art class. I loathe the plastic windows. So far I have assembled the front door with out the plastic. Has anyone else made this house with out the plastic windows? I am thinking of how to use tooth picks to make the bay window look like it has window pains in the large part. I don't want a gaping hole instead of a window. Any ideas?

I recommend building any kit house without the plastic window inserts if it's for a younger child to play with, since they want to access the inside of the house through whichever opening they happen to be interested in, and that will likely mean the end of the plastic insert. Toothpicks for mullions sounds like an interesting idea. Would the smaller bamboo cocktail skewers also be an option? I'm also wondering about using the toothpicks horizontally in the bay window openings like louvers. Do post pictures of your build now that you've made five posts.