Alison Jr. Floors

kellee

I absolutely HATE the floors in this house, they are prescribed,wood floors. The width of the floorboards is too big, the depth of the scribe is horrible.... Seriously if the floors were in a real house there'd be some broken toes. !!! I have no idea what to do, it's MDF which I hate anyway,....

So what would you do about the floors?

Thank you

Kelly

I had the same pre-scribed, wrong wood color floors in my Vermont Jr. I used the tutorial on dhbuilder to fix them; first lightly scrubbed them with sandpaper, then used regular wood stains that I had laying around until I got the color I wanted. There are pics in my gallery; it was a pain to do, but I'm quite pleased with the way they turned out.

(Since it was my first house I was also scared to death I'd ruin the floors completely! :hide: )

If someone I really liked were to gift me with such a kit (which those who know me that well would never do, knowing my sentiments about MDF) I would slap a coat of spackling compound on it, sand it smooth and make floorboards out of iron-on wood veneer!

I'd probably cover them with either wood or a nice flooring paper. Depending on the room, you could also do tiles or brick and those can also be found in nice heavy duty paper. Personally I don't use it, but I've seen some very nicely done carpeted floors. If you are taking the house apart and rehabbing it you could redo them.

It is a rehab house, I thought about the spakling, but wasn't real sure it would work. I will try it, can't hurt these floors than they already are....lol. There is globs of hot glue and when you peel it up it takes the 1st layer with it. So I'll so the spakling, then paint them a brown color, and if nothing else works then I'll cover them with carpet, I am thinking of using mat board for kitchen and possibly bathroom tile. I knew you would have ideas, I just couldn't think ....I really love hardwood and I was hoping to do that in this one but I just don't see it turning out the way I hope. Thank you, Kelly

Don't turn down the iron-on wood veneer (it's real hardwood); it cuts easily into lengths for boards and with a cork-backed steel straight edge splits nicely.
True, and it's pretty easy to work with.

I have never used iron on wood veneer, where would I find it? What stores? Preferably brick and mortar, I don't do online purchases. And what is the cost. ? I am looking for a very cheap way of rehabbing this house. Thank you, Kelly

Kelly, I spotted it in with the planes and other small gadgetry in the lumber section of Home Depot the other day. They had it in both red oak and white birch. Since I didn't need any at the time I didn't check the price, but you could Google it for your local store to see what they ask; I bought my last roll (red oak) at Lowe's and something around $5 sticks in my brain. A roll will give a lot of floors.

Here it is at Lowe's, so you can see what it looks like. 25' is a lot... :)http://www.lowes.com/pd_16545-99899-34210_0__?productId=3603328&Ntt=iron+on+veneer&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=iron+on+veneer&facetInfo'>http://www.lowes.com/pd_16545-99899-34210_0__?productId=3603328&Ntt=iron+on+veneer&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=iron+on+veneer&facetInfo= And so glad I looked that up. They also have the white, I actually could use that for my RL house... :)
This is what I used for the floors in the half scale Diana, except I got it at Home Depot and I think it was less $. It was fairly easy to work with, although since I'd already assembled the house, I had to make paper templates and mine curled after ironing. However, a good heavy book solved the curl! :)

Here's Home Depot... $.12 cheaper! Prices must have increased recently! :)

Actually, the red oak costs more! Yikes!

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100585395/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=iron+on+veneer&storeId=10051

And they don't have the white I need. :( Hate that, I visit HD more than Lowe's.

• 4 months later...

If my math is right, 25feet x 3/4" wide will cover 12 x 18+, which is a bit larger than a sheet of hardwood flooring at half the price. I am going to try it as a stair tread... the .03 thickness might make it easy to wrap a tread and the front edge of the lip in one piece.